• Donner's World by timallen

3 15.79%
  • The Frozen Wastes by schattentanz

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: *** October/November 2013 Lite Challenge VOTING: The Waste Land***

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I voted for three. I had a really hard time deciding because there was something I really liked about each one. I feel a bit silly voting for three, but I couldn't bring myself to decide between them.

The Fraternal Twins: Neyjour, I loved this sucker from the start and it only improved with time! Much like a fine cheese... right? No? Okay. Let's try this again. Your textures are damn nice - I love how perfectly you captured dried and cracked. Then there's the fact that you have an interesting concept, clear labels, well marked roads for travel. Just love it. I think I would've liked the roads on the left more textured, ease that transition in textures a little more and an explanation for the drastic changed, etc(but that's me being nit-picky, and god knows I'm still kicking myself about things I missed/could've done/etc) but I really quite like the look.

Sand & Crystals: You know, I never thought about a circular border for a map like that. I like it. Then you have all your markers(love each of them, nice design) though the spaceports seem out of place in comparison to the rest. I've never played the Dune board game, I didn't even know they had one, but I do get that sort of vibe(Sci-Fi & Dune-esque). I think my only real critique otherwise would be, it looks almost too uniform? The dunes seem like a repeating texture and while that's not entirely untrue in life, it seems like a a very, very large area with little alteration in the pattern of dunes.

Donner's World: Ohhh you sly devil, you! You combined two awesome things into one. A card game and cartography. I'd be interested in hearing about the game you develop around this concept. I have to say, I really like the idea. I think it's a unique approach and it has a sci-fi feel to it(Can it be Hoth? I want it to be Hoth. ). I think the part that I love about it the most, is that it feels almost like a monitor on the wall. Your application of icicles gives the map's negative space(Border? Silvery-bits? Whatever you want to call it.) depth. That alone sets the stage for the rest of how you view the map, giving it a very "computer screen" look to the map as a whole. I also like how you did the snowy mountains/drifts because they pop as they should, but not overly so, and combined with the soft borders give them an appearance I would expect to see were I looking at a snowy wasteland.
    Last edited by Psylence; 11-18-2013 at 11:15 PM.