Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Gold Coast, first map attempt

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Concerning the questions in the post before your last, I'd say – in my opinion – no cobble and shading. It's so crammed with detail already, I think it'd be best to let the color do the remaining work in those areas.

The farmlands look fantastic

I second Lingon about cobbles and about farmlands

Thanks a lot for the feedback, every encouraging word is like a inspirational boost to keep me at it I will steer clear of cobbles and too much shading! Hoping to finish the drawing during this or early next week. And then color it after the holiday!

Might as well post a small update of this days progress – the farmlands are almost finished. Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farmlands s.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	59651

Wip

Name:	final ish 1.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	4.49 MB 
ID:	59768

Here we go! What I would call a prior to coloring finished map (except for some smaller touches and frame design). However, after drawing at this for several hours the past weeks, I can't really tell if I like or dislike the result. What do you think? Feedback is much appreciated.

Name:	test c asdasf.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	59769

Since I begun this project my "technique" have changed significantly. After all this is my first attempt at something like this, so I guess the mix of style and scale in this map was bound to happen. Comparing the left and right half of the map this become clear. That's why I chose to add the second picture. A "version" of the map that only keep the right side of the map where scales and styles are more consistent. And thus, I come to you fellow cartographers with the question, should I stay with the original draft or go forward with the regional regional version?(Inception map! ). Thanks in advance.

And, of course, Merry Christmas!

I like this one...all that detail makes me want to just sit here and examine it for a few hours...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

There's obviously some scale issues from the left part to the right part, especially looking at hills sizes. The mountains and hills sizes seem more consistent on the left part. On the right part, the mountains look way too small regarding the other elements of the map.

Scale issues aside, I quite like this map. It is bursting with all sorts of lovely detail. If I had one piece of advice, it's that your line work looks somewhat rough around the edges. I'd try and work on smoothing out your brush/pencil strokes a bit. This will help with overall clarity. Very good job though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

It's a lovely map, all of it, but to get the strongest composition and scale consistency I'd actually suggest to use the regional regional version and crop away a small bit on the right as well. Just east of that fortress in the south.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, always warming and very helpful! Right now I’m leaning towards making one version digitally of the regional regional map, where I clean up double and to sketchy lines, add color and add “cover up” legends over the mountains I can’t avoid. This should help with the scale issues (I think.) However, just for the living room wall I will probably color the initial design as well. But with watercolor. Cheers!

Wip

After three weeks away I begun coloring the map. It's still far from done, but anyhow, this is the current version. What do you think? This post is made for two reasons. To show the progress but also because I'm uncertain about the result. The picture isn't at all turning out how I wanted it to, I think, because the color style and the more sketchy original piece don't match. However, I might just be blind from the whole picture, seeing that I worked on this for some time now. Feedback and opinions about the color would be much appreciated to help me forward. Cheers!

Name:	the gold coast final file.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	60187

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast