Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The Gold Coast, first map attempt

Sure the color is rather pale but I think it look nice even if I would prefer to have more contrast. Aside from that, the map is really loking good.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

I like the look. About the only thing I would change were I you is to make the sea color lighter. I think your land colors fit in well with the style. They look hand-colored even if they're not.

Wip

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Since my last post I attempted a ton of different styles and coloring techniques; still feeling that I can't find the right one. Starting to feel that this map might be better off without coloring. However, tonight I came closer to the one I imagined. Its closer to the antique feel I want to achieve, yet still inviting with the stronger colors. What do you think? Better or worse? Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the gold coast final file 3.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	60224

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, I don't look at this thread for a few weeks, and now it's full of awesomeness. I definitely like the second/more antique-y version better.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

This newest one is excellent in my opinion.

I am rather undecided on the water. It takes quite a lot of space on your map and, in it's current depiction, looks rather flat.

I very much like the rest of the colouration though. I'd say it fits perfectly both your drawing style as well as the intended antique feel.
    Last edited by Freodin; 01-10-2014 at 06:42 AM.

I wasn't convinced by your first coloring, but this last one is just fine!

I like the idea of different colors for the roofs : it adds a nice touch and is really helping to distinguish the buildings in a glance!

Blog Entries

This is a wonderful map

Your unique buildings, especially how they are
    portrayed in 3D, really make the map seem
    busy. In a couple places, some of the buildings
    look odd or slanted, but for the most part it's
    a really nice touch.

I also like your classic color scheme; it sort
    of contrasts the buildings by adding some calm.
    A calm but busy map

Perfect.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

This map has some really nice indivdual parts but they just do not match up that well --> scale issues. Also, there is one river splitting downstream (which is very unlikely in the real world, just FYI).

As a piece of art, ignoring the scale mismatch, this is wonderful. I really dig the whole city and bridges stuff and i also think that the forests, on their own, look very nice.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I'm really glad that people like this. All the feedback is very warming and motivating. Right now I'm in the stage of just wanting to get done with this and move forward to my next project. After all, this is my first attempt at something like this and I can't wait to use everything I learned. However, I won't let that make the final work stressed.

Eilathen, when you say that the river split downstream you mean the canal that runs through the city, yes? Where they split there is, or what is supposed to be a dam (I realize that it's very blotch at the moment) that directs the stream of water through the city. I will try to make this more clear when working on Freodins point, the flatness of the water.

Cheers!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast