View Poll Results: What is your favorite genre?/ What is your favorite level of magic?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Genre: High fantasy/heroic fantasy

3 25.00%
  • Genre: Mid fantasy

8 66.67%
  • Genre: Low fantasy

3 25.00%
  • Genre: Science fantasy

4 33.33%
  • Genre: Steampunk

1 8.33%
  • Genre: Science fiction

2 16.67%
  • Genre: Post apocalyptic

2 16.67%
  • Magic: High magic

4 33.33%
  • Magic: Mid magic

9 75.00%
  • Magic: Low magic

4 33.33%
  • Magic: No magic

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: CWBP 2 : Determining the genre and era

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    A.3 I'll repeat my proposal to feature a small number of fixed gateways between select locations. Because this is something that would actually show on the maps, both via the placement of the gates themselves as well as the expansion and migration of peoples and kingdoms.
    I've just always assumed that some if not all of your locus points that you proposed way back had a feature like this. If we do this I think we should treat them more like sci-fi wormholes which have variable stability and also that the do not necessarily have well defined exits (in other words that not all of them end up at other nodes, nor that their exits are so well defined as to be easily discovered). There could also of course be devices devised to create or stabilize these things. I also feel that they should take on the aspects of the node they occupy. So if it's a flame aspected node so is the tunnel, and the things sent thorough have to be prepared to deal with that.

Another thought about the tunnels is the physical aspects of being inside of them. At first I was thinking instant sort of portals and gateways as you suggest, but my overuse of the misplaced word "tunnels" has me considering that what if you had to take actual trips through these things like they really were tunnels and maybe they have branches, maybe you can get lost in them etc. Maybe some of them even have flora and fauna etc. That'd be cool in my opinion. It also means mapping opportunities for the tunnels themselves.

An interesting idea Falconius. It made me consider folkloric faerie-land rules in the vein of "don't stray from the path no matter what!" -- there could be weird otherworldly vistas surrounding the "tunnel" with strange spirits lurking in there trying to trick the travelers so that they'll become lost in the space between the gates.

Blog Entries

omg i wanna map a wormhole tunnel...

What if thats where the demons from The Guilt That Haunts idea come from? The magical portals could be used like tunnels, gateways into another realm, with that realm intersecting at magical points of power with the physical world. People could get lost by straying too far from the known pathways in that otherworld tunnel similarly to how the demons are drawn to the light of the gateways when the gateways absorb magical power, and the demons kust slip into our world.

That way its not that each individual action per say has a consequence, an individual death isnt a big deal, but large phenomena like war, famine, plague, natural disaster, things that generate large magical releases for the gateways to absorb draw the attention of the demons.

What about that? Mapping opportunity! The tunnel world just became physically relevent and physically intertwined with the primary world.... The demon world in "tunnel land" may be as complex and diverse as the world above. Much how we use the tunnels to navigate, they use them to escape or invade, or come to our aid to spite other demon factions.

Blog Entries

Starting to sound like greek/roman gods meet the Sunderer... @.@

Actually, that could be fun...

I think that the gateway idea is a good one but at the same time it should not be easy to use it. I mean, imagine if someone could just move his army with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gspRooster View Post
    What if thats where the demons from The Guilt That Haunts idea come from? The magical portals could be used like tunnels, gateways into another realm, with that realm intersecting at magical points of power with the physical world. People could get lost by straying too far from the known pathways in that otherworld tunnel similarly to how the demons are drawn to the light of the gateways when the gateways absorb magical power, and the demons kust slip into our world.

That way its not that each individual action per say has a consequence, an individual death isnt a big deal, but large phenomena like war, famine, plague, natural disaster, things that generate large magical releases for the gateways to absorb draw the attention of the demons.
    I'm liking this idea but I'd change it slightly, so that death doesn't create magic but can be sensed by demons - and they find this sensation very pleasant, being thus attracted to it's source.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I think that the gateway idea is a good one but at the same time it should not be easy to use it. I mean, imagine if someone could just move his army with it.
    As long as the number of wormholes is kept small and there's no way to change the destination of a gate, I wouldn't consider this to be a problem at all. It just means that you can have a kingdom that on the world map appears to hold territory on two seemingly distant areas.
    Last edited by Ghostman; 01-29-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I'm liking this idea but I'd change it slightly, so that death doesn't create magic but can be sensed by demons - and they find this sensation very pleasant, being thus attracted to it's source.
    I find this a really attractive idea! Maybe they feed on the energy that death releases, it makes them stronger and keeps them alive.

Quote Originally Posted by rgcalsaverini View Post
    I find this a really attractive idea! Maybe they feed on the energy that death releases, it makes them stronger and keeps them alive.
    I agree with both of these alterations 100%

Blog Entries

Now that sounds both fun AND plausible

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast