View Poll Results: What is your favorite genre?/ What is your favorite level of magic?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Genre: High fantasy/heroic fantasy

3 25.00%
  • Genre: Mid fantasy

8 66.67%
  • Genre: Low fantasy

3 25.00%
  • Genre: Science fantasy

4 33.33%
  • Genre: Steampunk

1 8.33%
  • Genre: Science fiction

2 16.67%
  • Genre: Post apocalyptic

2 16.67%
  • Magic: High magic

4 33.33%
  • Magic: Mid magic

9 75.00%
  • Magic: Low magic

4 33.33%
  • Magic: No magic

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: CWBP 2 : Determining the genre and era

Ok, so I think we talked about the genre long enough. And by genre I must specify that I'm only talking about the genre as it is explained in my first post.
    For the rest, such as the Era and the other ideas; I will create their own threads for discussion. Or if the author of these ideas want to, they can create a thread themselves as it might be simpler. Everyone can open threads here anyway.

here's the list of genre we have so far, just correct me if I forget one of them:

Genre:
    High fantasy/heroic fantasy (high magic)
    mid fantasy (usually mid magic)
    low fantasy (low magic)
    science fantasy (variable amount of magic)
    steampunk (magic possible)
    alternate history (no magic)
    science fiction (no magic)
    post apocalyptic (usually no magic)

I've associated all the genre with a corresponding level of magic. I will make a new thread about magic so we can discuss that subject.
    I will wait a couple of days and if everybody is happy with the list, I will open a poll.

Sounds good to me. I have no problems with that list.

Perhaps have two polls side by side one about the genre and one about the magic level, then we just tie them together at the end. Or make a multiple choice poll with hi, low, mid magic levels as additional options leaving the genre options bare.

the maximum options for a poll is 35 so it's possible to have them separated. If people are ready to decide the issue with magic, there are no problems.

Poll open. We will take the results in 3-4 days.

Looks good. Please vote everyone. At least one vote in each section: Genre and magic.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

If you go for a non-magic/non-high science map then I think you are dividing yourself by style and technique and really hindering yourself on imagination. A "believable" map isn't as fun as a fantasy map in my opinion.

Well fantasy by far got the most traction, so I would imagine most people agree with you.

A low magic world is not as much a hindrance as that though, it could merely mean that while magical forces may be very strong in the world people have very little cognizance of it and rarely experience overtly "magical" magic in their daily lives. Personally I'd be happier with low to mid magic than I would be with high. As to me high magic indicates its heavily integrated with everyday life and everyones walking around with ridiculous things like healing potions or scrolls of teleport etc. To bring it back to your point; having no limitations is just as divisive and as much of a hindrance as a world we limit to stark realism.

Blog Entries

I like both!! I like post-apocalyptic magic too

You know, the kind where someone (gods or men) destroys everything in a huge blast of ______insert idea here_____ and *that action* is what brings magic into the world.

It's overdone on Earth (radiation blast gives men superpowers) but what if it opened the rift through which you could see a star in another dimension, or maybe the way the demons/whatever enter.. idk

I've probably misunderstood the option anyway
    Have you "liked" a post today?

I don't think you've misunderstood the option at all. Post-apocalypseical magic torn worlds are right up there with regular old magical fantasy worlds. Thats why we split the magic and genre options.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast