Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Yantas - A Pretty Amateur WIP

Okay, so to add to my last post, I've tried taking ocean currents into account, changing the temperature of the coasts and oceans step by step. This what I have so far for January:

Is this realistic or have I gone wrong somewhere?

(the brown lines indicate newer, ongoing mountain formation phases, while those in purple are remnant ranges from now inactive mountain formation phases )

Blog Entries

something's off just around your equator, I think... but I can't figure out what, it just feels off... it should be *hotter* on the land about the equator... not cooler... right? Maybe it's something easily fixed when adding in precipitation?

I've been using a different method, so I'm not sure :/

Also... The lines/transitions seem too smooth somehow ... (worse to the edges of the map, in any direction, so might be details you've not added yet?)

I wish I could be more help, but I'm new to this and don't want to say something wrong when it's not cause I did mine different methods!
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    something's off just around your equator, I think... but I can't figure out what, it just feels off... it should be *hotter* on the land about the equator... not cooler... right? Maybe it's something easily fixed when adding in precipitation?
    These two maps of Earth in July and Januray respectively, seem to suggest otherwise. From what I've been advised in various places on the net, land heats up and cools down faster than ocean, meaning that temperatures in the oceans remain roughly similar throughout the year at a given latitude but vary more widely on Earth.

The average temperature map on the same map shows that the average annual temperature at the equator is roughly the same on both land and ocean. Some areas along the equator reach their peak high temperatures in April and September

Also... The lines/transitions seem too smooth somehow ... (worse to the edges of the map, in any direction, so might be details you've not added yet?)
    Yeah, this map is, at the moment, incomplete, hence the lack of detail in the western and eastern portions of the map and towards the north and south as well, I was just wondering if I wasn't heading in the wrong direction

I wish I could be more help, but I'm new to this and don't want to say something wrong when it's not cause I did mine different methods!
    Yeah, I have the same general "policy". I'll happily provide resources and point to various helpful parts of the internet, but I'm always hesitant to actually provide solid, personal advice just in case I haven't understood something correctly

Blog Entries

Actually, you're right... I was also thinking that was your Summer map, for some reason.

I'm gonna go take my foot out of my mouth now...

EDIT: Also your continents are a lot more earth-like than mine, which could be why I'm seeing things ^.^
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Help

Ok, so I've been working on a basic pressure map this morning/early afternoon and this is where I've got to so far for Yantas in July (northern summer, southern winter):

And for Yantas in January (northern winter, southern summer)

Now, I've followed the climate cookbook as best I can, but I get the feeling I've gone wrong in a number of places through lack of understanding. For example, I'm not too sure whether I've got the centres of those pressure zones, e.g. over the oceans and lands, correct or whether I've got the mergers of pressure zones quite right.

Hope someone might be able to help out
    Last edited by sangi39; 02-25-2014 at 10:43 AM.

I *think* it's more or less correct, but the bands of H and L markings make it a bit hard to read. It'd be more legible to me if you just placed a single H and a single L in the centre of each area where the pressure should be at it's strongest either way, and then from that it's easy to draw the contour lines.

However, I'm by no means an expert on this, so it'd be worth it to wait for someone who knows what they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptori View Post
    I *think* it's more or less correct, but the bands of H and L markings make it a bit hard to read. It'd be more legible to me if you just placed a single H and a single L in the centre of each area where the pressure should be at it's strongest either way, and then from that it's easy to draw the contour lines.

However, I'm by no means an expert on this, so it'd be worth it to wait for someone who knows what they're talking about.
    All updated for you

Haha much better, thanks!

Okay so here goes:

July
    I think they might be the wrong way around - but I might have this backward lol. Northern hemisphere should have high pressure, and low pressure over water. Southern hemisphere should have those the other way around. So the lows on the equator look correct, but then the northern hemisphere ones I think are the opposite to what it should be. The west of the southern hemisphere looks correct, but then over the landmass on the center/east there should be low pressure.

January
    I think here the band across the northern tropic looks right, with the esception of the two high pressure areas over the continents which should instead be low pressure areas. The equator should still be high pressure over land and low over water, so that's mostly correct, and the band across the southern tropic looks the opposite of what it should be.

The way I did it on my map was basically split each map into two by covering half and only working on one hemisphere at a time. If that hemisphere is in summer, I first put H marks in the center of any large area of land, and then put L marks in the center of any large oceans. If that hemisphere is in winter, I'd do the opposite - put L marks on the land, then H marks on the water. In fact, I might be reading your map wrong and switching the land and water, in which case my advice above would be completely hopeless

Quote Originally Posted by Raptori View Post
    Haha much better, thanks!

Okay so here goes:

July
    I think they might be the wrong way around - but I might have this backward lol. Northern hemisphere should have high pressure, and low pressure over water. Southern hemisphere should have those the other way around. So the lows on the equator look correct, but then the northern hemisphere ones I think are the opposite to what it should be. The west of the southern hemisphere looks correct, but then over the landmass on the center/east there should be low pressure.

January
    I think here the band across the northern tropic looks right, with the esception of the two high pressure areas over the continents which should instead be low pressure areas. The equator should still be high pressure over land and low over water, so that's mostly correct, and the band across the southern tropic looks the opposite of what it should be.

The way I did it on my map was basically split each map into two by covering half and only working on one hemisphere at a time. If that hemisphere is in summer, I first put H marks in the center of any large area of land, and then put L marks in the center of any large oceans. If that hemisphere is in winter, I'd do the opposite - put L marks on the land, then H marks on the water. In fact, I might be reading your map wrong and switching the land and water, in which case my advice above would be completely hopeless
    I was following these two tips from the Climate Cookbook:

while in summer the land warms to create a low-pressure area, which joins up with the ITCZ and the PF, leaving high-pressure areas over the oceans
    In winter, the cooling of the land creates a high-pressure area over the interior, which merges with the high pressure area around the STHZ and leaves low-pressure systems over the oceans
    So that the northern hemisphere in July should have low pressure over the land and high pressure over the ocean and then, in January, high pressure over the land and low pressure over the ocean. The opposite would then be the case for the southern hemisphere.

I'm looking to see if your advice might be used in reverse to see if my maps make sense

Ahhhh yes! I had it mixed up - for some reason I was thinking rising air = high pressure when actually it's the opposite. Sorry about that!

In that case then I think it's all correct.

Did the Climate Cookbook say what should happen in the tropics in summer? I can't remember whether I had a band of high pressure over both air and land like that, I'll have to go check the files I made again...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast