Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Yantas - A Pretty Amateur WIP

Yeah, exactly! And since you're creating your own world, something that gives realistic results is more important than making sure it's utterly perfect

Still working on the precipitation jazz (taking longer than I thought because I can never settle on how specific to be with regards to regions, and then work interrupts my thinking about it ), so I thought I'd post a few simple things while I'm not too busy doing much else. First, here's an image of Yantas from a number of different angles, including the poles:

Next up is a random bunch of astronomical data which has pretty much nothing to do with Yantas itself (except for where it does), but it could affect astronomical details in later stages:

Italva (parent star)

Mass: 1.065 solar masses (G1 star)
    Diameter: 1.033 solar diameters
    Luminosity: 1.165 xSol
    Apparent Luminosity: 1.008 times that of the Sun as seen from Earth
    Effective Temperature: 5950.965K
    Angular Size: 30.611 minutes (0.961 times that of the Sun as seen from Earth).

Velas (rocky)

Mass: 5.584 x 10[super]23[/super] (about 7.6 times that of the Moon)
    Diameter: 5838km
    Density: 5.36 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 30,500,000km
    Orbital Period: 32.5 (Earth) days

Eccentricity: 0.17
    Node: -0.000365°

Inclination: 2.12°

Severa (rocky)

Mass: 1.954 x 10[super]23[/super] (about 2.66 times that of the Moon)
    Diameter: 4102km
    Density: 5.41 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 52,900,000km
    Orbital Period: 74.5 (Earth) days

Eccentricity: 0.15
    Node: -19.1°

Inclination: 3.71°

Piranka (rocky)

Mass: 2.389 x 10[super]24[/super] (about 0.4 times that of the Earth)
    Diameter: 10559km
    Density: 3.92 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 86,400,000km
    Orbital Period: 155.0 (Earth) days

Eccentricity: 0.069
    Node: 40.2°

Inclination: 4.24°

(The general plan is to have a single moon for Piranka, but the exact details of this are yet to be decided.)

Yantas (rocky)

Mass: 5.972 x 10[super]24[/super] (about the same as the Earth's)
    Diameter: 12760km
    Density: 5.49 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 1.08AU
    Orbital Period: 1.08 (Earth) years
    Sidereal Day: ~24hrs 40mins (1.019 times that of Earth), making Yantas' year 386.925 Y-days long.

Eccentricity: 0.024
    Node: -61.4°

Inclination: 3.77°

Yantas has two moons, Hwestun and Kadyura

Kadyura

Mass: 0.3 lunar masses
    Diameter: 2326km
    Angular Size: 36.381 minutes (1.170 times the apparent size of Earth's Moon as we see it, and 1.188 times that of Italva)

Semi-Major Axis: 219,788km
    Orbital Period: 11.56 Y-days (11.8 Earth days)
    Phase Cycle: 11.916 Y-days, (32.471 phases per year)

Eccentricity: 0.013
    Node: -40.3°

Inclination: 4.39°

Hwestun

Mass: 0.8 lunar masses
    Diameter: 3226km
    Angular Size: 21.549 minutes (0.694 times the apparent size of Earth's Moon as we see it, and 0.704 times that of Italva)

Semi-Major Axis: 514,656km
    Orbital Period: 41.511 Y-days (42.3 Earth days)
    Phase Cycle: 46.5 Y-days, (8.321 phases per year)

Eccentricity: 0.11
    Node: 25.6°

Inclination: 1.97°

(Kadyura thus goes through 3.902 phases for every one phase Hwestun goes through.)
    (I might change some of these details if the tides become too extreme. Kadyura causes tides 1.602 times the values of those caused by our Moon while Hwestun's are just 0.334 the Moon's. How those interact with each other, however, I don't know )

Gunyari (rocky)

Mass: 1.433 x 10[super]24[/super] (about 0.24 times that of the Earth)
    Diameter: 8209km
    Density: 4.95 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 1.78AU
    Orbital Period: 2.3 (Earth) years

Eccentricity: 0.047
    Node: -150°

Inclination: 6.35°

Asteroid Belt

The asteroid belt lies roughly 3.14AU out from Italva.

Baridan (Gaseous)

Mass: 1.519 x 10[super]27[/super] (about 0.8 times that of Jupiter)
    Diameter: 120812km
    Density: 1.64 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 5.38AU
    Orbital Period: 12.1 (Earth) years

Eccentricity: 0.064
    Node: 44.5°

Inclination: 3.59°

Akyeru (Gaseous)

Mass: 2.297 x 10[super]27[/super] (about 1.21 times that of Jupiter)
    Diameter: 148125km
    Density: 1.35 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 9.33AU
    Orbital Period: 27.6 (Earth) years

Eccentricity: 0.16
    Node: 44.5°

Inclination: 14.8°

There's also Rembika, Oligaris and Loki, all of which are gaseous, but I haven't worked out the more detailed stuff for them yet

According to Universe Sandbox, the orbits appear to be stable, so for the moment I'm sticking with them.

I had never heard of Universe Sandbox... damn I want that program now, though it'd be yet another thing blocking my progress. For the last week I've spent zero time on my map - I've spent that spare time reading the Limyaael rants, this could take up even more time

It's cool that you've worked out so much detail for the other planets in the system - will you be mapping any of those as well?

Guild Member

Since you have gone with three bodies (two moons) and you're going with some realism, you might want to research 'three body problem'. Here is one link but by all means look for others if that gets you tangled.

So you know where you're going there are three classic 'groups' of solutions, plus recent possible of another 13. I'd ignore the latter, but the three models are... yaknow, let me simplify.

There's the simple and obvious group that almost everyone knows - multiple objects orbiting a star through lagrangian points.

There's the Broucke-Hénon group which look like tangled yo-yo's and also include orthagonal orbits. (two or three different planes).

And there's the "figure eight" group, in which all three elements follow through a figure 8 (with variations depending on respective masses.)

As to tides, simplistically they add when in alignment and subtract when orthoganol. So when Hwestun and Kadyura eclipse or oppose high tide is almost twice earth's, while when they're orthogonal Kadyura's is only going to be about 1.45 instead of 1.6 (number is swag, not calculated).

So I haven't actually worked on this very much over the last month, but this is my current attempt at a climate map based on the Climate Cookbook's guidelines:

(white lines are mountain range peaks)

I haven't worked on the smaller islands yet but the majority of them look like they might just about be small enough to have fairly minimal west-east differences.

I'm sure I've gone wrong somewhere, most likely on the longer east-to-west running coastlines and the large island to the south-west of Hungas (in the north-eastern portion of the map at 20-30 degrees north), but most of it looks generally okay, other than the obvious "sticking too strictly to latitude" phase I go through during initial drafts
    Last edited by sangi39; 04-11-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Speaking as someone who is currently trying to work out Koppen climates for a terraformed Venus, I sympathize immensely.

So, why doesn't the desert in Arenda from 10-30N not progress all the way to the western coast? That coast should have a cold current, so this large desert would be a pretty good analogue for the Sahara. Look at the world Koppen map on Wikipedia to see what I mean. You can see the same process in Australia. Also regarding that- you wouldn't have Aw or Am bordering BWh. Usually BWh is almost surrounded by a band of BSh. Which sort of makes sense when you think about it- you wouldn't have a verdant tropical forest suddenly give way to hot desert- there has to be some sort of transition area. (At least for the larger deserts- the smaller ones in North America seem to act wierdly...)

With that long, huge east-west mountain range in the south plus another in the east, I would imagine that the interior of Hungas should look more like Central Asia and Siberia than like Canada. There's going to be one hell of a Central-Hungan low, there, so that may be where you find Dfd and Dwd on your world. And because of that low I'd be willing to bet that the West coast of Mistaya is where you will have your big monsoons. (Mistaya would act like your India and Southeast Asia, albeit crossing further south of the equator- not sure how that would work.) Again, check out the Wikipedia map.

There's also disappointingly few Mediterranean climates, there. (Disclaimer- I adore Mediterranean climates. Doesn't everbody?)

Since I'm a larval-stage climatologist myself that's about the limit of practical advice that I can give at the moment.

When I finally get around to posting my first draft I hope you'll chime in with criticisms.
    Last edited by acrosome; 04-11-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acrsome View Post
    Speaking as someone who is currently trying to work out Koppen climates for a terraformed Venus, I sympathize immensely.

So, why doesn't the desert in Arenda from 10-30N not progress all the way to the western coast? That coast should have a cold current, so this large desert would be a pretty good analogue for the Sahara. Look at the world Koppen map on Wikipedia to see what I mean. You can see the same process in Australia. Also regarding that- you wouldn't have Aw or Am bordering BWh. Usually BWh is almost surrounded by a band of BSh. Which sort of makes sense when you think about it- you wouldn't have a verdant tropical forest suddenly give way to hot desert- there has to be some sort of transition area. (At least for the larger deserts- the smaller ones in North America seem to act wierdly...)
    Pretty good points. Tried to update the map to take that into account.

With that long, huge east-west mountain range in the south plus another in the east, I would imagine that the interior of Hungas should look more like Central Asia and Siberia than like Canada. There's going to be one hell of a Central-Hungan low, there, so that may be where you find Dfd and Dwd on your world. And because of that low I'd be willing to bet that the West coast of Mistaya is where you will have your big monsoons. (Mistaya would act like your India and Southeast Asia, albeit crossing further south of the equator- not sure how that would work.) Again, check out the Wikipedia map.
    I've got some monsoon regions down the eastern coast of Mistaya (down from 40 north to 20 south), but still getting used to things like Dfd and Dwd. They're not covered as distinct climates in the Climate Cookbook so I've missed them out for the moment

There's also disappointingly few Mediterranean climates, there. (Disclaimer- I adore Mediterranean climates. Doesn't everybody?)
    Yeah, it doesn't help that I don't have a large east-west ocean like, well, the Mediterranean But, yeah, there's only like two (maybe three) fairly small Mediterranean regions. I have thought of having a sea in eastern Sirden so that I can have a larger Mediterranean region, but then I think "meh"

Since I'm a larval-stage climatologist myself that's about the limit of practical advice that I can give at the moment.

When I finally get around to posting my first draft I hope you'll chime in with criticisms.
    I'd love to And from what I've seen of the terraformed Venus project already, it's really good

Quote Originally Posted by sangi39 View Post
    Yeah, it doesn't help that I don't have a large east-west ocean like, well, the Mediterranean But, yeah, there's only like two (maybe three) fairly small Mediterranean regions. I have thought of having a sea in eastern Sirden so that I can have a larger Mediterranean region, but then I think "meh"
    Well, you don't absolutely need an analogue to the Mediterranean Sea. Most of the U.S. Pacific coast is a Mediterranean climate, according to Koppen...
    Last edited by acrosome; 04-12-2014 at 10:41 PM.

Just realised that I didn't post my updated climate map

One thing I have noticed, if the Climate Cookbook is right about the ice-cap climate being at 75+ N/S, is that Yantas is only going to have a tiny amount of land which falls within this climate zone, i.e. the southern coasts of Velkasta and maybe the most northern reaches of Konyur.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast