Thread: Yantas - A Pretty Amateur WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are you still using Paint for most of this? With your level of detail I feel you would benefit greatly from switching to a more advanced program that could handle layers like GIMP. Granted you arn't at the stage where you need all the tweaks available, but on an organizational level and with the level of detail you are going into I think you may very well discover you are limiting yourself unintentionally with Paint.

Either way, I love seeing the build up of this world. Keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Are you still using Paint for most of this? With your level of detail I feel you would benefit greatly from switching to a more advanced program that could handle layers like GIMP. Granted you arn't at the stage where you need all the tweaks available, but on an organizational level and with the level of detail you are going into I think you may very well discover you are limiting yourself unintentionally with Paint.
    Yeah, I'm still on Paint I'm still coming to grips with GIMP through the various tutorials of the Guild before I move on from Paint, but I'm trying to develop at least the basics of this world at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Either way, I love seeing the build up of this world. Keep it up
    Will do

So, while I'm working on getting a bit more used to GIMP, I was talking to a user on one of the other forums I'm on (the CBB) about plateaus and basins and I've come up with a basic idea of where I might place them (plateaus in red, basins in yellow:

That user has yet to reply to this particular map update, but I'd thought I'd post it here too, just to get some more opinions

Oh, I was also thinking of adding something along the south-eastern edge of the mountains in Mistaya as well.

Wip

I ended up not working on this very much after Christmas (then New Year's came, then my wife's birthday and then two weeks away from my laptop ) so I've spent most of my time trying to put all the information I had into layers on GIMP, which, because I left doing that for so long, took me some time

Anyway, I have gone a little further, not much. Right now I have a slightly more detailed temperature map for July and January, but it's still very much based on latitude:

January:

July:

There's no indication of tempertures being affected by mountain ranges or glaciers and I haven't yet gotten to indicating how surface temperature in the oceans and nearer the coast is affected by ocean currents (the thicker blue lines indicate equatorial counter-currents, but I'm not too sure on them), but in general it seems roughly correct.

It looks a bit weird because of the lack of smooth transition in temperatures between the ocean and the land, but looking at this site:

7(m) Global Surface Temperature Distribution

... it seems okay. The land is warmer in July further north than in the ocean and vice versa in southern January. The one problem is the lack of large, wide landmasses on Earth, other than Australia, in the southern hemisphere whereas on Yantas there's Sirden

Anyway, hope that makes sense. There's no set scale yet other than red is really hot and dark blue is really cold, but I'm hoping it should be fairly obvious what's going on
    Last edited by sangi39; 02-12-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Okay, so to add to my last post, I've tried taking ocean currents into account, changing the temperature of the coasts and oceans step by step. This what I have so far for January:

Is this realistic or have I gone wrong somewhere?

(the brown lines indicate newer, ongoing mountain formation phases, while those in purple are remnant ranges from now inactive mountain formation phases )

Still working on the precipitation jazz (taking longer than I thought because I can never settle on how specific to be with regards to regions, and then work interrupts my thinking about it ), so I thought I'd post a few simple things while I'm not too busy doing much else. First, here's an image of Yantas from a number of different angles, including the poles:

Next up is a random bunch of astronomical data which has pretty much nothing to do with Yantas itself (except for where it does), but it could affect astronomical details in later stages:

Italva (parent star)

Mass: 1.065 solar masses (G1 star)
    Diameter: 1.033 solar diameters
    Luminosity: 1.165 xSol
    Apparent Luminosity: 1.008 times that of the Sun as seen from Earth
    Effective Temperature: 5950.965K
    Angular Size: 30.611 minutes (0.961 times that of the Sun as seen from Earth).

Velas (rocky)

Mass: 5.584 x 10[super]23[/super] (about 7.6 times that of the Moon)
    Diameter: 5838km
    Density: 5.36 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 30,500,000km
    Orbital Period: 32.5 (Earth) days

Eccentricity: 0.17
    Node: -0.000365°

Inclination: 2.12°

Severa (rocky)

Mass: 1.954 x 10[super]23[/super] (about 2.66 times that of the Moon)
    Diameter: 4102km
    Density: 5.41 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 52,900,000km
    Orbital Period: 74.5 (Earth) days

Eccentricity: 0.15
    Node: -19.1°

Inclination: 3.71°

Piranka (rocky)

Mass: 2.389 x 10[super]24[/super] (about 0.4 times that of the Earth)
    Diameter: 10559km
    Density: 3.92 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 86,400,000km
    Orbital Period: 155.0 (Earth) days

Eccentricity: 0.069
    Node: 40.2°

Inclination: 4.24°

(The general plan is to have a single moon for Piranka, but the exact details of this are yet to be decided.)

Yantas (rocky)

Mass: 5.972 x 10[super]24[/super] (about the same as the Earth's)
    Diameter: 12760km
    Density: 5.49 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 1.08AU
    Orbital Period: 1.08 (Earth) years
    Sidereal Day: ~24hrs 40mins (1.019 times that of Earth), making Yantas' year 386.925 Y-days long.

Eccentricity: 0.024
    Node: -61.4°

Inclination: 3.77°

Yantas has two moons, Hwestun and Kadyura

Kadyura

Mass: 0.3 lunar masses
    Diameter: 2326km
    Angular Size: 36.381 minutes (1.170 times the apparent size of Earth's Moon as we see it, and 1.188 times that of Italva)

Semi-Major Axis: 219,788km
    Orbital Period: 11.56 Y-days (11.8 Earth days)
    Phase Cycle: 11.916 Y-days, (32.471 phases per year)

Eccentricity: 0.013
    Node: -40.3°

Inclination: 4.39°

Hwestun

Mass: 0.8 lunar masses
    Diameter: 3226km
    Angular Size: 21.549 minutes (0.694 times the apparent size of Earth's Moon as we see it, and 0.704 times that of Italva)

Semi-Major Axis: 514,656km
    Orbital Period: 41.511 Y-days (42.3 Earth days)
    Phase Cycle: 46.5 Y-days, (8.321 phases per year)

Eccentricity: 0.11
    Node: 25.6°

Inclination: 1.97°

(Kadyura thus goes through 3.902 phases for every one phase Hwestun goes through.)
    (I might change some of these details if the tides become too extreme. Kadyura causes tides 1.602 times the values of those caused by our Moon while Hwestun's are just 0.334 the Moon's. How those interact with each other, however, I don't know )

Gunyari (rocky)

Mass: 1.433 x 10[super]24[/super] (about 0.24 times that of the Earth)
    Diameter: 8209km
    Density: 4.95 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 1.78AU
    Orbital Period: 2.3 (Earth) years

Eccentricity: 0.047
    Node: -150°

Inclination: 6.35°

Asteroid Belt

The asteroid belt lies roughly 3.14AU out from Italva.

Baridan (Gaseous)

Mass: 1.519 x 10[super]27[/super] (about 0.8 times that of Jupiter)
    Diameter: 120812km
    Density: 1.64 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 5.38AU
    Orbital Period: 12.1 (Earth) years

Eccentricity: 0.064
    Node: 44.5°

Inclination: 3.59°

Akyeru (Gaseous)

Mass: 2.297 x 10[super]27[/super] (about 1.21 times that of Jupiter)
    Diameter: 148125km
    Density: 1.35 g/cm[super]3[/super]

Semi-Major Axis: 9.33AU
    Orbital Period: 27.6 (Earth) years

Eccentricity: 0.16
    Node: 44.5°

Inclination: 14.8°

There's also Rembika, Oligaris and Loki, all of which are gaseous, but I haven't worked out the more detailed stuff for them yet

According to Universe Sandbox, the orbits appear to be stable, so for the moment I'm sticking with them.

Guild Member

Since you have gone with three bodies (two moons) and you're going with some realism, you might want to research 'three body problem'. Here is one link but by all means look for others if that gets you tangled.

So you know where you're going there are three classic 'groups' of solutions, plus recent possible of another 13. I'd ignore the latter, but the three models are... yaknow, let me simplify.

There's the simple and obvious group that almost everyone knows - multiple objects orbiting a star through lagrangian points.

There's the Broucke-Hénon group which look like tangled yo-yo's and also include orthagonal orbits. (two or three different planes).

And there's the "figure eight" group, in which all three elements follow through a figure 8 (with variations depending on respective masses.)

As to tides, simplistically they add when in alignment and subtract when orthoganol. So when Hwestun and Kadyura eclipse or oppose high tide is almost twice earth's, while when they're orthogonal Kadyura's is only going to be about 1.45 instead of 1.6 (number is swag, not calculated).

So I haven't actually worked on this very much over the last month, but this is my current attempt at a climate map based on the Climate Cookbook's guidelines:

(white lines are mountain range peaks)

I haven't worked on the smaller islands yet but the majority of them look like they might just about be small enough to have fairly minimal west-east differences.

I'm sure I've gone wrong somewhere, most likely on the longer east-to-west running coastlines and the large island to the south-west of Hungas (in the north-eastern portion of the map at 20-30 degrees north), but most of it looks generally okay, other than the obvious "sticking too strictly to latitude" phase I go through during initial drafts
    Last edited by sangi39; 04-11-2014 at 03:58 PM.