Thread: Isolden (my 1st world map)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bogie - Thanks! The rivers and lava are just placeholders right now. Once the terrain is done, I'm going to merge all the layers and actually cut the rivers out, then re-apply the drop shadows (like you see around the continent now). So the background paper texture of the ocean will run right up into the rivers/lakes, and then I might use a transparent layer of blue on top of that, just to brighten the rivers/lakes up a bit. I'll see how it goes when I get to that point. Same thing for the lava too, except I'm planning to use an actual lava texture for that portion. I bought a really nice one on deviantART that I'm hoping will work for it. If not, I might just do some transparent layers of red/orange/yellow on top of the ocean texture for that as well. We had a cold front go through, so it's been pretty miserable for the past few days. Constant drizzling rain and really chilly temperatures. But today was a little bit warmer.

Psylence - Thanks very much! Going to download that now and give it a read-through!

jtougas - Thank you! I'll see how badly I've messed up and decide how much I want/need to change. But yeah, I'm not overly concerned with making them completely accurate, but I would like to avoid any glaring/obvious errors if possible.
    Last edited by Neyjour; 11-28-2013 at 12:24 AM.

jtougas is on the money. It's all about you and your take on things. Let's face it, when it comes to mapmaking there's always the question of how realistic you plan on making it. Often people want to put in an element of realism, but there's also ways around it. The easiest explanation is magic, but you could also create an artificial split in a river because of a town. If they go out of their way to split it, it could theoretically happen for a while. It's also interesting to just look through that thread because, sometimes, even our living world does things that make us scratch are heads and want to call foul(or fowl since Turkey Day and all). Either way, I know I haven't spoken too much on the map, but it's coming along quite nicely.