Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: WIP Kingdom of Aragual - My first attempt to create a more artificial map

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Imported? How did the source for the high layers were created? With something outside of Photoshop? You emntioned vectors.

Well Schwarzkreuz,

I reused the layer-structure of a comparable map ( https://cartographersguild.com/showt...light=Sealands ) and so I just re-used the layer structure of this map. In fact, first of all I created the whole continent in Adobe Illustartor once upon a time. It tooks about some months all together. You will find an idea at https://cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=24096 . When focussing on special regions like the Sealands or the Kingdom of Araguel, I use this map as a base for the photoshop work but I prefer photoshop for the real map, because you can experiment a lot more with PS, even when the Illustrator map is scalable. This allows me to focuss on regions and alwasy having the right basis, not depending on whether I focuss on a county or a large Kingdom

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randigpanzrall View Post
    Well Schwarzkreuz,

I reused the layer-structure of a comparable map ( https://cartographersguild.com/showt...light=Sealands ) and so I just re-used the layer structure of this map. In fact, first of all I created the whole continent in Adobe Illustartor once upon a time. It tooks about some months all together. You will find an idea at https://cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=24096 . When focussing on special regions like the Sealands or the Kingdom of Araguel, I use this map as a base for the photoshop work but I prefer photoshop for the real map, because you can experiment a lot more with PS, even when the Illustrator map is scalable. This allows me to focuss on regions and alwasy having the right basis, not depending on whether I focuss on a county or a large Kingdom
    No idea how Vorro and you can sit as long on a single map. It would drive me completely nuts to try learn Illustrator for this
    Also I prefer Photoshop, when I studied Communication Design at HBK Braunschweig, I never really understood how to use Illustrator and my very basic introduction seminar was 14 Years ago

EDIT: OMFG... I am getting old

Any improvement in the map?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    No idea how Vorro and you can sit as long on a single map. It would drive me completely nuts to try learn Illustrator for this
    Also I prefer Photoshop, when I studied Communication Design at HBK Braunschweig, I never really understood how to use Illustrator and my very basic introduction seminar was 14 Years ago

EDIT: OMFG... I am getting old
    getting old Schwarzkreuz, well, what should I say ?

Illustrator is in fact quite simple on it´s basics and I guess, you dont´t need more than one hour for those basics... I prefer to work with both programs because each one has it´s strehght´s in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Impesio View Post
    Any improvement in the map?
    Yes, I added some boundaries, roads and some details:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aragual Kopie3.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	112517

After some days of pausing, I startet reworking on this map...

However, I nearly finished the hills, added some text (like City Names, Lighthouses and so on) and I even reworked the water, which has some depth-levels now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aragual Kopie4.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	114039

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234