Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - Fantasy World Aldraste

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Okay so I'm messing with the height map and I'm liking where it's going, but I'm not quite sure on the scale of the mountains and how to achieve what I'm going for. This is a small scale map and the main continent is larger than asia, so I'm wondering how I can achieve the sense of scale with the mountains? Critiques and suggestions are very welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heightmap3.png 
Views:	2992 
Size:	507.9 KB 
ID:	59369

Okay, so what I ended up doing was taking heightmap of the world and piecing together parts of it. It's turning out far better than I expected, but still a work in progress.

Name:	heightmap.png 
Views:	2791 
Size:	656.1 KB 
ID:	59372

This is a fine looking height map! Looking forward to watching it develop.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks! I now have the height map done entirely, and I've now run it through wilbur. I'm loving the results. Now I know I've read somewhere that you're able to resize to a larger size in wilbur with the resample function, but I don't quite remember where I saw it. I'll have to look it up.

At this point, I'm sort of unsure on how to continue. I'd like to get a bump map from this but I don't know how.

Here's the new map.

Name:	erosion regular2.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	59374
    Last edited by Asdrubael; 11-26-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Unfortunately I'm not all that familiar with Photoshop but I did a quick Google search and found this tutorial for using bump map in PS. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Unfortunately I'm not all that familiar with Photoshop but I did a quick Google search and found this tutorial for using bump map in PS. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you thank you thank you thankyou! I'm curious now to see if this will work for a map. c:

Those PNGs that you are posting ARE bump maps! A bump map is an intensity map use to modulate the surface normal.

If you'd like a lighted grayscale image that you can use to modulate your color maps rather than your surface normals (usually by multiply on a color layer), you can generate images like that directly in Wilbur. Use Texture>>Gray Maps>>Light Map and enter the angle to get the basic image. If you'd like a littel more control over the image, use Texture>>Wilbur Shader and then Texture>>Shader Setup to bring up the Lighting Settings property sheet. Click Altitude to show the Altitude page, then Color List on the Land side. Hold down Shift and click Remove to clear the list. Add white entry, then click OK. Do the same thing for the Color List on the Sea side. Also set Opacity on the Sea side to 1 for best effect. Now you'll get a lighted image that can be used to modulate your color maps and that you can directly control the intensity of the shading by using the Intensity tab on Texture>>Shader Setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12