Thread: [WIP] As Yet Untitled World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected

Default World finally named! Calmera (land and seas)

It's been a couple of months since I last updated this, but it hasn't been completely dead. I've been trying to refine a mountain technique and come up with some of the naming languages, both of which have been quite a challenge. One thing I did settle on is a name, Calmera, which is a rehashing of the name for a previous map I worked on here for the same book. That map is gone, but I like the similar name. But here is the real reason for my post. I've finally figured out a way for making mountains that fit in with my map style but don't take over the whole map. Since the focus of this map, for me, is the political and geographic aspects that are much more important to the story, I wanted to create mountains that were apparent but not overwhelming. By using and extensively adapting RobA's Simple Mountains tutorial I feel I may have succeeded.

Please note: these are NOT the final mountains. They are rough copies just to test the style before I go all out and spend a lot of time on this. First, they are far too uniform the way they are now. Second, I want to make some height differences both along the ranges and between ranges, to add some variety to them. But I wanted to throw something simple together to get opinions on the general style.

I'm not really happy with how the Irha Mountains or the Pestula plateau turned out, and if I do use this style I'll have to redraw most of my borders (which is okay as long as I end up with a good map). Otherwise I am reasonably satisfied given my lack of artistic talent. Any criticisms, ideas, and changes are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calmera-mountain-test.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	61225