Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Equilas (commission WIP)

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Got the rivers in. Also added some cliffs around the place (mostly in the mid-western section) and a jungle squished between them. Friend asked me to add some sort of "Valley of Monument"-style formations atop one of the highlands.

For the full-size version, click here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...09155226579060

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapa Équilas 0.75 small.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	81085

Climate has been a big concern with this map, as originally my friend had put very little thought about it and had jungles next to snow and hot regions in further latitudes than cold regions. I've been trying to move him into making things a bit more balanced and, though there's still a weird pattern (hey, it's a star-shaped continent, after all), we've at least established that ice goes on the edges and the mid section is for jungles and deserts. I've also managed to convince him to remove some rivers so as to avoid every single region of the map being flooded by them.
    Last edited by Klaus van der Kroft; 03-10-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus van der Kroft View Post
    Thanks, Lingon! Much appreciated. I'm also glad to be working on this thing again. It's been a lot of fun trying out new styles.

Regarding the chasms: They are supposed to meet the sea, where big waterfalls are formed (I'm not yet sure if said waterfalls are noticeable, though). According to my friend's specifications, these chasms are impossibly deep and the seas drain into them. Where does the water go, why don't they fill up, or where is the sea getting all that lost water from are anybody's guess!

Do the chasm look like they are "very deep"? I tried using using small amounts of black instead of a solid colour in order to give the impression of "mysterious, maybe kinda nebulous darkness", but I'm afraid they ended up looking like regular canyons filled with ash or something.
    Ah, I see! Then you're on the right track They don't look so deep, though. The horisontal lines on the bottom of them, while I get what you wanted them to do, make it look like that is the bottom. Let the vertical lines on the sides continue all the way down and they'll look bottomless, and the nebulous darkness could be shown with some gradual shading instead, or perhaps some smoky cloudy effect.

This is looking great so far, though I would echo Lingon's thoughts on the chasms. They're nicely done, but a little bit more work will really sell the idea of bottomless cracks in the earth.

Looking forward to your next update.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks, guys!

I followed your advice and tried removing the visible bottom from the chasms.

I also got the swamps done, added a few more forests, one of the world-trees my friend requested inside a cloudy forest, chasms and obsidian formations in the north, and a desert. Hopefully I can finish all the remaining forests tomorrow (there's a lot of forests in this map, it seems!).

For the full-size version of the map, click here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...49012934076468

Name:	Mapa Équilas 0.8 small.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	81223

Looks epic! Those are some killer chasms.

Out of curiosity, are those mountain brushes you used? Or did you draw it all by hand. Did you draw that tree from scratch? Looks nice. I must say.... that is one MASSIVE tree.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I can only agree, those chasm are killer

Much appreciated, Josiah, Lingon!

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Out of curiosity, are those mountain brushes you used? Or did you draw it all by hand. Did you draw that tree from scratch? Looks nice. I must say.... that is one MASSIVE tree.
    Everything is drawn by hand. Whenever I try to make brushes, they end up looking very odd, so I have no option but to draw everything individualy (except for the depth lines around the shores, which are made with selections and strokes).

As for the tree, aye, drawn from scratch. I still have to draw another one on the south-eastern peninsula that has dried up, though I might be lazy ("time-efficient") and copy the trunk from the other one as a base.

The part I'm having the most trouble with is icons for cities and such, which my friend really wants to include, at least for the key locations. With big stuff I can somewhat hide my poor hand skills, but when it comes to drawing small castles and towns they always end up screwed. How do you guys make those? I've been trying with hard brushes, bristle brushes, fading brushes, even pen brushes, and I still can't find a way to make them look nice.

Didn't get as much work done today as I hoped, but progress is progress.

Added the Great Wall of Not-China, did the tundras and plains surrounding it (also finished adding the plains up north), added more forests, the second world-tree, and some decorations here and there.

The full-size version can be found here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...25457894857096

Name:	Mapa Équilas 0.85 small.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	81271

Guild Apprentice

Looks really nice!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Great work, indeed, I think that the zone that I like most is the eastern coast of the map. also, is an amazing scale, the map looks huge. looking forward to see more of it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast