Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Equilas (commission WIP)

I agree with the others : very nice chasm! I like that "great wall" too. I'm not so sure about the south ice cap, too much lines maybe?

Incredible work! I really enjoy the way the eastern desert looks like you can feel the heat just from looking at it. Cant wait to see how the north eastern arm turns out as well! Keep it up!

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Sorry for the two-week pause; we're right in the middle of the nut harvesting season over here and I had to oversee the works at the farm.

Finally got all the geographical features drawn and the land painted. Tomorrow I plan on focusing on adding towns, roads, and labbels.

The version below is at 50%; for the full size, you can download it here (15mb): http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...05709355755726

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapa Équilas v0.9 small.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	81913

Quote Originally Posted by Simonson View Post
    Looks really nice!
    Thank you, Simonson!

Quote Originally Posted by GnomoGrapher View Post
    Great work, indeed, I think that the zone that I like most is the eastern coast of the map. also, is an amazing scale, the map looks huge. looking forward to see more of it!
    ¡Muchas gracias!

The continent is supposed to be about "the size of Europe", but I advised my friend to avoid putting a scale since the climate patterns would be odd with such as small world (as both top and bottom are supposed to be near the poles).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I agree with the others : very nice chasm! I like that "great wall" too. I'm not so sure about the south ice cap, too much lines maybe?
    Thanks, Ilanthar!

Regarding the ice cap, I was trying to convey the feeling of snow and ice piling up and mounting into massive formations beyond the ice walls. I'll try giving it a few new spins to see what comes out, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancool View Post
    Incredible work! I really enjoy the way the eastern desert looks like you can feel the heat just from looking at it. Cant wait to see how the north eastern arm turns out as well! Keep it up!
    Much appreciated, Rancool!

The north-eastern arm is rather simple, I'm afraid; mostly a huge forest next to a huge plain and a lot of desolate islands. Though I try to add variety where I can, since the book is already written, I have little wiggle room. After this one, though, my friend asked me to work on an underground map of the world; that ought to be an interesting challenge, I say!

Alright, got all the stuff done, so technically the map is, at long last, finished. There might be some extra additions such as compass, title, and stuff like that, but that's still left undecided (my friend is not yet sure whether he'll use the full map or bits and pieces of it); I'll add the legend afterward as well. Another friend who's an actual artist is taking care of drawing logos and the like. I'll leave the map rest for a few days before giving it a last pass, in order to better notice mistakes and oversights.

Wrapping it up, it's been a really interesting project, from having to work with a star-shaped continent to actually using colours on a map for the first time (I'm not used to painting these things!). Many lessons learned experimenting with drawing styles I'd never tried before.

Thank you all very much for your ever helpful comments and observations!

Here's the final version of Equilas, at 50% size:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapa Équilas Final small.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	82046

The full sized version was uploaded here (Devianart)

Oh! Very nice. Congrats on completing it that's a big accomplishment.

Very nice! A big project like that always feels nice when you complete it.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Lovely final product. All the many feature are well executed and i like your city icons. Great job on this.

Looks great Klaus.
    And I love that big crack in the world.

One tiny update and one huge update regarding this map:

Tiny Update: Here's the final version of the map, which fixes some errors and labbels. Due to size restrictions, here's the Deviantart link: http://mcmagnanimus.deviantart.com/a...ilas-601125404

Huge Update: My friend's book has finally been published! The first promotional print copies were already given to my friend and the official launch is scheduled for the 9th of June. After years of work on his part, I couldn't be happier to see it finally giving fruit. First print run will be sold only here in Chile, but once it manages to sell at least 4,000 copies it's getting printed in Spain, Argentina, and other markets. A grayscale version of the map is getting included with the book, but they are also apparently going to print big-ass full-colour versions for the launch event.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Oh! Very nice. Congrats on completing it that's a big accomplishment.
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Very nice! A big project like that always feels nice when you complete it.
    Much appreciated. Indeed, there's a special feeling when carrying a project to its end.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Lovely final product. All the many feature are well executed and i like your city icons. Great job on this.
    That means a lot, thank you. There are many things in this map I had never tried before, and I don't really have a good eye for style, so it makes me glad -and relieved!- it didn't turn out like a mish-mash of weird things.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Looks great Klaus.
    And I love that big crack in the world.
    Thank you! But remember: Don't do crack, kids, no matter what a map tells you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234