Thread: [Award Winner] Basic CC3 Concepts explained

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    Layers in 3DS Max are not really layers, either. They are more like alternate planes of existence. They have nothing to do with "what's on top of what." They are just collections of objects, and they can be hidden/shown wholly, or their objects can be hidden/shown singly. The sequence of layers in the Layers panel in meaningless -- you can't "put a layer on top of another".

Is a CC layer anything like that?
    Just so ... yes. Except the bit about the show/hide singly when it comes to the objects. If you hide the layer, it's all or nothing.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Guild Journeyer

I just think of it as:

sheets == layers ala' Photoshop
    layers == symbol grouping for ease of mass manipulation of similar entities

A CC3 Sheet is really like what you expect a layer to be. A CC3 Layer is more like a category. Whenever I see the word "layer" in CC3, I mentally replace it with "category".
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Well, programs like Photoshop and what not have been around only since around 1988 at the absolute earliest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoshop), while the FastCAD program CC3 and it's predecessors are based off have been around since 1979 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FastCAD ). Cam[aign Cartographer came out in 1993 and uses the FASTCAD engine.

So, I believe they were sort of locked into the use of LAYERS at the time of initial development.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    So, I believe they were sort of locked into the use of LAYERS at the time of initial development.
    Yeah - sheets were a later addition to FastCAD, and Profantasy initially took advantage of them specifically for starship deck plans in Cosmographer, where each sheet would be a different deck, all within the same drawing. Now that sheets are used for effects in CC3, Cosmographer will most likely require you to do different decks in their own FCW drawing file. Not a bad tradeoff, though.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales