Thread: Terraformed Venus

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Terraformed Venus [WIP]

EDIT--

Before you waste your time, I have changed the elevation data set that I was using and re-started several times. If you want to see the current status of the map it starts on page 10.

--END EDIT

Howdy, All.

As I mentioned elsewhere my pet project is going to be a terraformed Venus. I plan to use it for an ultra-low fantasy (no magic) campaign set a few millennia after a cataclysm. Here's a preview:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sitherion_Overview.png 
Views:	2327 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	59757

This is a USGS topo map of the planet with a sea mask and 5-degree lat/long lines superimposed, Mercator projection, and it only goes to 57-degrees north and south. (At the equator a 5x5-degree quad is roughly 328 miles square, so almost 108,000 sq miles- just a bit bigger than Colorado.) It also is compressed quite a bit so that I could post it here- the original is over 27000 px across. I'm going to use this to guide my work on smaller regional maps. I'll also use this to figure out climate.

As a bit of a warning- It'll probably take me years to get any work done on this, so don't expect updates often.

Here are the prevailing winds, before I take into account the continents:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sitherion_Prevaling_Winds.png 
Views:	437 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	59758

If it looks backwards, remember that Venus rotates the other way- the sun rises in the west.
    Last edited by acrosome; 04-13-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: add WIP to title