Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Requesting a map? Please read me.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can I somehow change the prefix on a request? I put [Paid?] because I might pay depending on whether the map or a derivative of it is published, but I can't pay straight away, so I'm worried it may have been misleading.

The Guild does not impose any rules on how cartographers work. In spite of the word "Guild" in our name. If the client and the artists are happy with a collaboration, then that's terrific!

In fact, Ravells & I collaborated on a project… quite a long time ago. I made a continental map, and he did a couple of local maps.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Before I post my request, I need to know what a professional map cost? I'm writing a fantasy novel and want to include a map.

Guild Apprentice

Default Price setting

Quote Originally Posted by lonewriter View Post
    Before I post my request, I need to know what a professional map cost? I'm writing a fantasy novel and want to include a map.
    http://www.elfwood.com/farp/thebusin.../priceart.html

Guild Novice

got it. Loading up the details on a word document to dump in

My apologies for the multiple post yesterday, should have read the posting confirmation dialog closer.

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

I don´t know if I am speaking foolishness or not, and I know that I am still a newie in the forum (and surely someother people had proposed this idea before) but maybe it could be a good idea to compose a general price table between all the cartographer members of this guild.

I know that the artist's rates of eachone are a very sensitive matter, but I think it could be a positive fact for everyone using this forum. After that either one is free to increase (or decrease) the proposed rates.

In the time I wandered this great guild I had found that the vast plurarity of people that use the Mapmaking Request section of the forum say "I don´t know the rates of the market" or "I am not acquainted with cartography rates" and usually thinks that create a map is worth of $50-$60... This could be true in some cases but not always or it is not true when someone's asking for a A0 realistic color map, do you know what I mean?

Well, I left this proposal to the forum... Feel free to complely ignore it if it is a sillyness (also if any admin thinks that it is not the apropiate place to talk about it he/she can move it without problem).

Bye,

@ Antonio and lonewrite: How much someone should pay for a map is a thorny question. One of the things that concerns me is that by even suggesting some sort of 'guild approved' rate we will be influencing the prices that people charge and I am not sure if that is a good thing. I think that if you are someone looking to have a map made the best way would be to ask a range of cartographers what they would charge and based on their portfolio, time they can produce etc. make a decision from that.

There are a few factors affecting the price of maps I would imagine. From the type of copyright to the obvious amount of hours put into create the work. I would expect good, deep, maps probably rival or surpass centerfold paintings in terms of work hours. Simpler unpainted maps probably a lot less. If you are commissioning a piece I would imagine it really depends on what you are asking for and what the artist estimates it will cost in terms of hours and of course adjusted according to the copyright.

Perhaps if artist were to post a map and post the price they would have charged for that specific map it would be better than some sort of general list. Really it's the only way I see of doing it. I can't imagine a high quality map costing as little as 50-60 dollars. That really seems like a bargain bin price for even relatively plain black and white map.

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

@ Ravells I am not talking about impose a price list to anyone but to create a help system both to requesters and artists (but above all to requesters) that allow to set a foundation, a common ground to start talk. there is a lot of people that expect to get a professional map for $50-$60 and maybe there is people that fearing a $1000 bill labels his/her request as "Unpaid".

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast