Thread: Map of the Twin Kingdoms of Aran and Ilan - Handdrawn

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

MUCH better now!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

I live to serve
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Ok guys, I think this is it. I think I actually finished this map! Last chance for you stern critics out there (I need you, so please don't hold back!), if I don't receive any remarks anymore, I'll be publishing this in the Finished section tomorrow. thanks for all your help and comments!

My (hopefully) final version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWI_handdrawn_final_roman.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	62510

And since I don't like leaving anyone out in the cold, here's the Homebrew Script Version, especially for Lingon:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWI_handdrawn_final_arain.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	62511
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Is it supposed to say "Comprehenfive" instead of "Comprehensive" and "Hiftory" instead of "History"? Is it just the font's s?

Looking great though! I wish the second one had all the text replaced with the script, that would look amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Raptori View Post
    Is it supposed to say "Comprehenfive" instead of "Comprehensive" and "Hiftory" instead of "History"? Is it just the font's s?

Looking great though! I wish the second one had all the text replaced with the script, that would look amazing
    Lol, that's not an f, is an ſ! see, the horizontal bar is missing! Back in the days people used that almost-f for an s, except at the end of a word. Look at Milton's original manuscript of Paradise Loſt, for example! They did away with it when confusion with the actual F started to weigh on the world, but I think it's a nice historic touch. I'm sure there will be lovers and haters (I'm not even sure where I stand, but I'm gonna leave it the way it is now. Why? See below!).

Regarding your "entire map in the script" idea: I wish I had the time for that, but I'm afraid my gf is busting my *** already. I either finish it now, or never . Guess what I chose :p
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 03-21-2014 at 09:39 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I like your use of the ſ, although I have two criticisms to offer: first, I think you perhaps overuse it, and second, it looks a bit odd as the only historic text feature. You could include a few other common things such as city > citye, a few more capital letters and spelling 'mistakes' (eg. This Age endds with the First War, when Mortals did grasp for Power and the Angry Gods destroiyed the Citye Ictarion and left the physical World).

This is the first time I've seen your map, and I haven't read the 13 pages up to this point, so the only other thing I'll point out is: the populations you give for each nation or duchy or whatever seem a bit too large. Is there a reason so many people live in this region? Do you explain it in-world somewhere? Because if not (and I am assuming a preindustrial level of technology) you have some improbably massive populations.

Those things aside, nice work.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Lol, that's not an f, is an ſ! see, the horizontal bar is missing! Back in the days people used that almost-f for an s, except at the end of a word. Look at Milton's original manuscript of Paradise Loſt, for example! They did away with it when confusion with the actual F started to weigh on the world, but I think it's a nice historic touch. I'm sure there will be lovers and haters (I'm not even sure where I stand, but I'm gonna leave it the way it is now. Why? See below!).
    Lol I suspected it was something like that, just wanted to make sure! I read through the text and each time it was used I heard it as an f, so it wasn't ideal for reading. I'm one of those people who "see" the spelling of a word when it's spoken, and also "hear" the sound of a word when it's written - those combined with the ſ strangely... for example I can't stop reading that title as "Paradise Loft" - internal autocorrect on the "paradife" which passes "loft" as correct

However I don't think that's an issue for a map, so even if you had the time I'd be on the "keep them" side

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Regarding your "entire map in the script" idea: I wish I had the time for that, but I'm afraid my gf is busting my *** already. I either finish it now, or never . Guess what I chose :p
    Haha fair enough! The script looks really nice, do you have a whole language (i.e. including grammar and punctuation and stuff for the back story) or just a working script for place names? It really would look awesome, maybe you could try it on another map some time
    Last edited by Raptori; 03-21-2014 at 10:12 AM.

The map looks good to me! And I have my own preference for the old ∫ replacing the "s".

The populations are based on an average between 30 and 120 inhabitants per square mile (depending on the terrain and remoteness of the location). This is all temperate climate (well, up north is kinda Scandinavian, and down south tends to be more mediterraneanish, but it's roughly European, so no deserts or tropical forests taking up space), so I guess Ilan, a country larger than the Democratic Republic of the Congo, isn't horribly overcrowded with "just" 55 million inhabitants. And Araniell is about as big as Pakistan and India together - maybe for a country that size 91 million inhabitants isn't overly big? I don't know, I used the number 30-120, but that might well be a bit over the top.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Yay, homebrew script! Seriously, it's looking really really good. Like Raptori, I'd love to see a version with all the text in that language, but… yeah The new font choices are great, fits the new parchment better imo. But now, the main font for the labels looks too modern in comparison. It's Monotype Corsiva, isn't it? Personally, I'd replace it with something that looks more handwritten and old.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast