Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Map of the Twin Kingdoms of Aran and Ilan - Handdrawn

Well, it's another good version of a good map !

I agree with my fellow commenters...another very lovely map. Has a Max-ish quality to it.
    As with most maps of this style, i am no big fan of the forests...but otherwise, as said, a very well done piece of map-work.
    Maybe you could mix up the mountains a bit more...the mountains are very singular in style which makes it kind of repetitive.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Thanks for your comments, guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Maybe you could mix up the mountains a bit more...the mountains are very singular in style which makes it kind of repetitive.
    You're right, Eilathen, they do look a bit repetitive. Maybe that's because of the rather harsh shadowing I added. I'll see if I can do anything about that.

In the meantime, here's another update, people! Most important changes are the in-map shields, and a major overhaul of the sidebar. Apart from that there's also tons of smaller tweaks and corrections, not all of them important, but necessary all the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWI_handdrawn_overhaul10.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	68257
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The contrast between the heavily shaded mountains and the forests is a bit odd to my eyes. I would either shade the forests more or decrease the shadows of mountains

I agree with - Max - and my preference would go to decrease the shadow of mountains. But that's purely a matter of taste, I think.

I think I'm gonna do a bit of both. I'll diminish the harsh mountain shadows, but I'm also gonna do an in-depth test of the forest shadowing. To be continued ;-)
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Wow, great update. The old version is pretty, but the new version really pops. Well done

Hi all! Below is a quick update on the forest texturing. I started shading and lighting the forests (did it by hand, Photoshops shading obviously doesn't work on the ripples in the middle of a forest patch). Below you'll find a quick printscreen of the zone I already took care of, without the overlaying layers such as labels, roads, borders etc. The idea is that this way the contrast between the forests and the mountains will be a bit clearer.Be sure to let me know what you think!C
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forests.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	68333  
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks like way better imho I would also add some shade to suggest the trunks line. That will give your forests a bit of depth aswell.

Good idea Max, will do. Maybe a black copy of the forest layer, moved 1 px down, I might even noise it up and add some vertical motion blur to make it appear more trunklike instead of a solid black "shadow". Might be butt ugly, but must be tested. Experiments galore!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast