Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Map of the Twin Kingdoms of Aran and Ilan - Handdrawn

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I think you should also play a bit with mountains sizes to break the "too linear" feel of the ranges.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Thanks guys and galls, your help is really appreciated! I must say I hadn't expected this to be such a steep learning curve, but I'm happy I've at least made it through the foothills by now. Learning curve peak, here I come! Well, sometime in the next million years anyway .

Below you'll find my next update. The most visible change is the parchment texture of course. It's a blend of several parchment textures I've created over the years - I hope you'll like it. I also added a few more mountains to the central ridge in order to break up the linearity a bit more (I don't think the issue is as strong there as it was in the western mountains), and I think I can reduce the size of some of those mountains by just nipping off a pair of foothills here and there. That's me being lazy, I know, but I really don't have the courage to begin drawing them from scratch again .

Another addition I did was a hill ridge linking both mountainous regions (and providing a nice border region between the lands north and south of that ridge, but that's for later). And last but not least, I reintroduced a first handful of rivers. I'm still not sure PS's "find edge" filter is the real deal, it's funny the effect can't be tweaked as in GIMP. I'll leave the river edge for now, but I might decide to do them by hand in the future. If I manage to muster up the courage.

Okay, enough blah blah blah. Here's the update:

### latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWI_handdrawn_overhaul11.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	61310

(what's the deal with that "latest WIP" tag anyway? I copied it from somewhere and I kinda like it, but I have no idea why people actually do it?)
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The #Latest Wip# tag is only useful in the Challenges to make sure you latest work will be selected in the thumbnail which is required for the voting polls

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    The #Latest Wip# tag is only useful in the Challenges to make sure you latest work will be selected in the thumbnail which is required for the voting polls
    Oh. Right. A bit silly to use it here then. I'll drop it in future updates
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Hi guys (and galls! We always forget the galls!),

Here's another update. Finished the western part of the continent with regards to rivers and mountains, still need to add some more hill ridges. I'm still struggling with city icons, so I'm gonna leave those for the end. What do you think?

Name:	AWI_handdrawn_overhaul13.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	61398
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

The reason galls are usually left out is this (assuming Dutch is your language) Google Translate
    I'm so sorry, I had to

The map is coming along very nicely! The mountains would be even better with some shadows and highlights

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    The reason galls are usually left out is this (assuming Dutch is your language) Google Translate
    I'm so sorry, I had to
    Oh right, I knew there was something funny about that word. Let's just say that to be a gal in this society, you need a lot of gall . And by that I mean "brazen boldness coupled with impudent assurance and insolence", and not the unpleasantly smelling liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    The map is coming along very nicely! The mountains would be even better with some shadows and highlights
    Well I'm planning on adding those some time in the future... But only after all the mountains and such are finished, of course.
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 02-14-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Aaaand a tiny update with a better (read: thinner) coastline, better fitting the rest of the strokes on this map. And that's all for today, guys and.... gals!

Name:	AWI_handdrawn_overhaul14.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	61401
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Blog Entries

Getting really good now!!
    Have you "liked" a post today?

I do like where you're going, but the rivers are a bit too sinuous imho.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast