These are all my own per-pixel rebuilds of maps that come with published Pathfinder adventures, so I can't take any credit for designing the layouts. Paizo buys and publishes their maps at a very low resolution, meaning when scaled up to something useable, they pixelate and get ugly. So all I do is scale them up and then start laying down shapes and textures to make the map, which I try and fill, as closely as possible, with what the rooms are described to contain. I can't say whether or not the full-detail maps contribute to the enjoyment of the games from the part of the players, but I know they certainly assist me, and I know that when you have a map that's just walls and floor and nothing in it, the players are in a bit of a struggle to visualize things you describe to them and how they would impact movement/combat/investigation in that room. But when you have a visual representation, they can actually see what things are there and they have more engaged interaction and movement with respect to those objects. Plus it helps me remember to point out details.