Thread: WIP - HELP? Pretty please?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I haven't read most of the posts in this thread, so I apologize if I restate or resurrect
    an old topic. But anyway, I guess I'll share whatever I know. Not much. I'll start
    with plate tectonics;

--On a collision boundary between two land plates, there are mountains; the crust has
    nowhere to go but up.
    --On a diverging boundary, shield volcanos (gentle) raise up. Check out the Mid-Atlantic
    Ridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for an underwater example, as well.
    -- On a collision boundary between two land plates, one ocean crust is pushed under the
    other. The rock and water trapped under plate #2 fuels the creation of magma. On this
    boundary you have cone volcanoes (active) and a trench (located where one plate goes
    under the other).
    --On a collision boundary between one land mass and one ocean, you'll find an off-shore
    trench and cone volcanoes.
    --On a sliding boundary, where one plate is going past the other, you'll have a fault.
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/hazards/q...sanandreas.jpg
    --Note that earthquakes (and, when underwater boundaries are involved, Tsunamis) will
    occur at many plate boundaries. An island chain is formed by the movement of a hot-spot
    (mantle plume) moving with the plate. Bigger islands are newer because they have not
    yet been subject to weathering.
    --Finally, I think most cartographers know about puzzle fit. When two plates with land
    pull apart, it looks like they could go back together.

Some of this might apply to the map you posted in the introductory post to this thread.
    I'd also like to add that a lot of the features and their locations will be in correspondence
    to the other features. A valley might have lush forest due to a water-shed. All the rivers
    coming down and washing the soil out from the mountains will create good soil for
    growing (not to mention, trees need water). Plus, mountains can create rain on one side
    (I'm thinking of Seattle and the West Coast of South America) So, following my logic, I'd
    imagine the mountains would be surrounded by forests and rivers. Your rivers looked to
    comply with "science" well.

What I'd be interested to learn about would be lakes. I live near a lake and enjoy doing
    so, but I don't see why a lake would form. That's cartography "science" I don't understand.
    Any ideas? Best of luck, I know everyone here tries to be really informative.
    Last edited by foremost; 01-21-2014 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Spelling is for Smart People, and I'm not one of them
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.