Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: January/February 2014 Lite Challenge: Jannah Manor

Blog Entries

Actually, since I'm updating for the challenge, I should probably show the full map.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	60592

I like that. I did not read the whole thread but I don't think you should keep the outline around the maze. But your trees are interesting.

Blog Entries

Thanks!

I think you're right. I'm pretty sure the whole outline is going to go -not just the maze. Or most of it, anyway, but I do need it while I work things out

I've had everything zoomed in to like 800% as I work. (The canvas is 3000x3000 pixels.)

The trees are, at the moment, 3 layers - well, 2 really - of transparency. The first is just a circle with a largish dot in the center. The second layer, I made jagged-y lines out from the center for the branches. I got the idea from architectural drawings of trees like the ones here. On the third layer, I was trying to get the same stippling effect as when I dab at trees with my brush, but it took a lot of trial and error... I'm not used to digital art I finally used a "chalk" brush about 1/4 the diameter of the tree. Then I just dabbed at it, in spiral starting in the center of the tree. I use the circle and branches as a guide, but don't worry about getting it straight. Then I got rid of the 1st layer with the circle.

The rose bush, flower bed, and tree inside the maze are just outlines filled in the same way with chalk.

I still need to do shading on them all, but I'm not sure yet if I'm happy with the effect or not. There must be an easier/better way, but I don't know what it is yet.

The hedge maze is simply an outline on the first layer, and traced with the vegetation brushes. It needs shading too!

I've no idea what to do with the wall (right now it's the "crack" texture, as a placeholder but that looks really bad at full size ) or the paths.

I haave an idea for the building roofs, but I think I've made my maze/gardens too large? so I might have to expand outside the walls. I don't want to use a larger canvas because my computer is screaming at me, and I don't want to scale anything down and lose too much detail (there's not a lot to start with) so I'm not sure what to do here...

Suggestions are welcome!

Blog Entries

Help

Added some more paths, and ... random stuff.

I'm feeling really stuck!

This is what I have so far, but with a copy over the top with things filled in so i can see more clearly:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	latest wip.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	60608

I'm not sure where to go from here :/

Well I’m not good at technical advices, as I’m myself still struggling with graphic software but if you need some ideas while stuck… well I would start thinking at a border for the whole map and at a legend and maybe at the shield of the family who hold the castle?

I would also work on colours to make them more gentle; and, the castle, I think it’s to tiny compared to other elements of the map; the rose bush alone could be the size of the ballroom of the castle.

Anyway, do not get me wrong, I like how the work is progressing, and I wait to see the rest!

Blog Entries

Oh, those aren't my final colors! Just a guide! I think what you thought was the rosebush is my terrible attempt at coloring the gazebo roof

But I think you are right, my manor IS a little too small.

I'll take your suggestion and work on other things while I try to come up with a way to fix everything.

Thank you for the advice andd the encouragement!

You're welcome! I'm looking forward your next updates

Its looking great Jalyha! Maybe adding more details to the roof will help? Kinda like Larb's Arnay?

Blog Entries

Stayed up all night and (hopefully) fixed a few things.

What I did:

1. Edited grass texture... (better or worse?)

2. Moved the walls for a) more space to work, and b) better/easier layout

3. Added and changed some buildings and gardens.

4. Started placing some of the gardens

5. Outlined some more tree-type things

6. Traced over the paths so I could see what they look like - I'm not happy with them

7. Added an arch over my entrance!!

8. Started playing with ideas for the roofs

9. Random small changes

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	latest wip.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	60638

Blog Entries

did a lot of detail work, but it's probably not real noticeable at a reduced size... so here's the fullsized map.

Note:
    1) The labels are not going to go there, they won't be red, and they won't be in that font. I simply wanted to point out what everything will be, for easier discussion.

2) My manor looks small, because all I have is the outline of the 1st floor. Trying to figure out how to give it the height I need, and I'm thinking part of the roof(s) will overhang other objects currently visible on the map... if that works, I won't have to resize it

3) I know my paths are awful, they are just a placeholder. But, then again, I truly don't know how to do paths, so....

4) Ideally, there won't be ANY outlines, when I'm finished. They're there as a guide.

My progress so far:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	latest wip.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	60650

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast