Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: January/February 2014 Lite Challenge: Jannah Manor

Blog Entries

Any advice/comments/criticism?

Okay, I found a technique for making believable roof patterns (Really, it's an overlay of 3-4 of the basic textures that come with gimp, combined with a weird brush, and LOTS of shading, so not *entirely* from scratch. Just saying....) and I'm totally in love with the roof on my shed, gardeners house, but the one I finished for the lower level of the manor didn't turn out as well... I'll need to find a new technique for the different pattern, or else draw every detail out by hand instead of being lazy!

I put pebbled borders around the flowerbeds and hedges, and where I'll be putting the rest of the bushes. I fixed the hedge maze (which now looks more like hedges and less like a green sheet on the ground.

I resized my south gardens so it was even, and more appropriate to the size of the manor, but I don't want to do too much of that, because I think the gardens are the main focus for these people

I also resized the gate/wall a bit... it was WAY too thick... probably still is. iunno.

And everything is a little crooked, I think... I just found out I can use shift to make straight lines (aside from using the path tool) ! Maybe I can do a little better now.

Added lots of detail/shading stuff, but still tons more to do.

and... more stuff but some of it is only visible when other layers aren't, so...

Here's what I have so far:
    ### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latest WIP.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	60673

Next steps:

I think I'm going to do each layer from the ground up, so I'll start with the smallest bushes, then the larger ones, steps and then low roofs.

Then I will do my trees and then the higher roofs.

Then I'll fix the walls, try to reposition everything more evenly, enlarge the manor if necessary, add paths, do all the light and shadows, add borders, a key, idunno whatelse...

So much work, so little time !!

But I'm determined to finish this one: No restarts!!

Wow! That was quite an improvement!
    I really love the shed roof, nice texture and depth. But maybe adding a little more light on the illuminated side would improve contrast from a distance.
    What happened to the pathways? I liked them.
    Did you made the grass greener or something? It looks better.
    What is a paddock? =P

I'm enjoying this! Please don't get bored with this one and restart! lol

Blog Entries

Thanks!! I still have to do all the light and shadows, so I'll make sure to pay attention to the roof then.

I'll have pathways, but I had to move/resize some things slightly, and since I wasn't satisfied with the *path* itself... I just put the layer invisible to work on later.

The grass... I added some texture and detail, and tiny white flowers hidden here and there in the grass, because, well, I'm silly. Mostly, though, I think it looks greener because I darkened some of the other plant-type thingies so they aren't all the same color

Ummmm... I said pasture/paddock because I'm not really sure what to call it - like a field for the horses to graze/exercise/be trained... idk. It will look better with stuff added, I hope

I still have to put a fence around it. How do you draw a fence top-down without it just looking like a line?

so they aren't all the same color
    Thats actually great, I just found that out working on my challenge too. Just having different shades works wonders for texture!

About the fence, funny you asked, I just spent some time thinking about it and this is what I came up with:

Name:	cerca.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	60676

Not that good, but its the best I could think up =P

Edit: Note that I can't make up my mind in which language to write when I'm making notes to myself, and end up mixing portuguese and english. lol

Blog Entries

OH yyou know what you're right. the shadow can give shape to the fence.

Also I just saw your post about your project and I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what the portuguese bits said! :p

Blog Entries

YAY !!! I'm really excited because I think I've figured out this bird's eye view thing!

Okay, so...

I added trees and bushes. LOTS of trees and bushes. I moved some of the plant areas out of the way, so I could enlarge the manor, cause everyone was right and it was way too small

So I enlarged the manor, and added some stuff to a few of the lowest roofs. Then I got stuck cause now my outline is WORTHLESS.

And my wall isn't far enough around

I also did some work on the grass, and a LOT of shading work.

Next up: Light and shadow for the things I have done, and adding more roofs.

It's slow going cause I have like 999999999 layers now and I'm afraid to merge them

Here's what I have now:

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	68 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	60704

Looking much cleaner now! Really like it
    But I think that something is bothering me with the stable roof.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rgcalsaverini View Post
    Looking much cleaner now! Really like it
    But I think that something is bothering me with the stable roof.
    Cause I haven't done the stable roof yet... it's a placeholder

Blog Entries

Did some more detail work, added shadows to most stuff (not the roofs yet) made a statue and started on the barn roof:

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	101 
Size:	4.16 MB 
ID:	60716

Blog Entries

Okay so.... I added apples to my orchard, horses and some hay for them (though I still need to put in a fence so they don't run away!)

I finished my stable roof .. I think... I'm still not totally happy with it, but oh well...

I built a greenhouse, and I hope it's okay, cause I merged almost all of my layers!

I also did a TINY bit of shading, and added a wall, with some shadows, and... Idk what else.

I think, except for the fences, all I have left is the manor... but I'm probably wrong.

Then I just have to add all the info that makes it a map!!

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	88 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	60729

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast