Okay, so. I'm not so pro at the map thing, but I do love board games. So I'll just tell you the random drivel in my head, because there's nothing I love better than rambling!

The first (smaller) map:
My first glance at the *thumbnail* of the first map was "Ooo that looks fun". My first look at the map itself was "Ohh, that looks confusing."

The 3 tracks looked interesting, but the board WAS too crowded. I, personally, like the little tidbits of information, but it *felt* like a kids' game and *looked* too complicated for most adults. I don't know if that makes sense.

I got the feeling that this was something I would see and immediately buy for a class of grade-schoolers/middle-schoolers and it would then frustrate them and sit on the shelf for years - untouched.

For civil war buffs or conquest game enthusiasts - I don't *feel* like it would sell super well, but it would sell, and those who got it would love it.

The second (larger) map:

My first thought on seeing the *thumbnail* of this larger map was: "That looks accurate." My first thought on seeing the actual map was "This looks *interesting*."

It's a lot clearer, and probably more accurate/realistic. I can actually see the map. I did wonder, what happened to the other 2 tracks. The game looks less complicated, but not immediately clear. I would still need to read the instructions to have any idea what to do with this.

It looks more like a map than a game.

However, I got the general feeling that once I understood it, it would be fun, and relatively uncomplicated.

I felt like this is something a *school* would order, the kids would groan about it, but enjoy it once they started playing it.

For civil war buffs/conquest game enthusiasts - I feel like they'd be quick to buy it, but complain that there wasn't more... idk... trivia/challenge/something. People complain about everything.

Overall:

I feel like the 2nd, larger map is really great. It's a vast improvement, and I kind of want to play the game ...I do feel that if there were a way to put the other tracks back in without crowding, or to add little factoids (either with the icons, or on cards, or around the game as a border, something...) that would make it feel complete.

That being said... I don't think there was anything terribly wrong with the first map. If it had been larger, that would have fixed nearly anything that could have been wrong with it. I'm not sure why (other than size/crowding) you were dissatisfied.

Obviously the first WAS released, and found its' market... enough so that they want a second edition. Congrats!

The key to a second *anything* is finding a new market - without losing your original market.

I can see this as a second edition to the first game. It would appeal to a different crowd of people, and it would probably sell to those who loved the first.

However, since you've not *added* much, (except the new design/icons which are much more appealing; but these will be seen by Joe Ordinary as "changes" not "additions") and you've lost some of the tracks and whatnot, you'll have those consumers of the first edition who are going to cry "NERFED!". Of course those people cry about everything. So... if it was me, I'd put the tracks back in and add some trivia-type information somewhere, and be content. Of course, it's not me... it's you and your client.

Since both maps are lovely and the game is sucessful, I'd say if you're both happy with it, you're good even without anything else.

I really hope your client gets back in touch with you! Best of Luck~