Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Argona - my first city map (WIP)

Well, I realize that I have been short a good example
    My first intention is something like this (I copy the labels I haven't written yet, just to show what I mean), with legend (about air-rail, stairs, etc) + title and blason on the right side.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Argo Disposition.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	61645
    Hope it's more clear now.

Blog Entries

Aye, it's pretty intense for a first

And now you have to do the English translation so I can read all the pretties.... no? okay

but yeah I think it's fine with the text.
    Have you "liked" a post today?

OHHH yeah I understand the layout now! I think it's fine the way it is then. I'm guessing you're putting the other text on the side, yeah?

I like the general idea but I must admit there's still a few details I would change:
    I think it would look better, if you gave the text a little more space. I love that the text is on the actual map, that is something I always prefer over text that is on the side, but it does look just a tiny bit cramped there. If you make the surroundings of the city a bit bigger you would also have enough space to put the title there instead of on the side which would -in my opinion- suit this map a lot better. Same goes for Dökheim, I think the title needs a bit more space there. Also concerning Dökheim: the map looks printed due to the fonts you used and the background, but the top and bottom borders of Dökheim end rather abruptly, making it seem like it was digitally placed on the map. Maybe there is some kind of filter or brush or even texture you could use to smoothen that edge a bit so it looks more like the rest? And if you still have to place text on the side I would place it on the left side of the map in this case.
    - If you still have the energy to work on this stuff I think it could improve the overall impression even more

Disclaimer: These are of course all minor details and I'm "complaining on a very high level" here (is that how you say it in english?) - you already know that I am in love with your map
    And that's with great detail like "A COMPASS tells you which direction is north!"

By ravells
    I just hope that this has not broken you and will not be your first and last city map!
    Hehe, I'm still alive. And I do have some important cities that would need a map for my rpg settings

By Jalyha
    And now you have to do the English translation so I can read all the pretties.... no? okay
    Ouch! I fear I won't able to translate... There's a lot of "old french" and wordplays. So, I would have to ask a very good translator for that!

By Seredemia
    I'm guessing you're putting the other text on the side, yeah?
    Exact

But, then, I read what Lyrillies wrote... and it makes sense. It's so simple and obvious that I feel a bit stupid to not have thought of this!

And yes, I just forgot to apply the same effect on Dökheim title and text!

Thanks everyone! Time to go back to work

Blog Entries

It's k... I was kidding anyway

@Lyrillies: You said it right. And the common term is "nitpicking" or (more common now) "neat picking"
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Latest work on labels. I'm almost done for the upper part of the city (lack the emblem and the scale, mainly). *Deep breath* and all Dökkheim, obviously.

Name:	Argo dispo neo.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	61770

I really can't say enough how amazingly beautiful your map is! Love the style of the title and the additional details on the labels. And I am extremely impressed by all the energy and time you are willing to put into this. I wish I could rep you again and again, but I can't...
    And that's with great detail like "A COMPASS tells you which direction is north!"

Thanks a lot guys !

By Lyrillies
    And I am extremely impressed by all the energy and time you are willing to put into this
    It's partly "despair energy", partly because I really need the map for my rpg setting... I just want to finish it quickly, or I'm afraid to give it up.
    And don't worry about the Rep, I've been more than supported, enlightened AND repped for a WIP!

Plus, I need good counsels again... With narrow streets and darkness, it's very difficult to put and read labels for Dökkheim. Are the few ones I put legible? I could try with another color (maybe a kind of yellow to match the torch lights) or something more white, but I'm not sure about it. And there's maybe another way... I'm just thinking it's too hard to read.

Name:	Dokkheim labels.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	61775

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast