Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Argona - my first city map (WIP)

That's repaired I think. Anyway, new small update. I'm kinda wondering how do shadows (if at all) to obtain a feel of "under city".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Begin Dokheim.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	61049

Blog Entries

Is it actually underground, or do you mean the rest of the city is floating, or like "skywalks" above it?
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Hmm, the whole city is floating (a bit like a floating island if you get my view). So, the under city is "in" this island. A quick sketch :
    Name:  sketch undercity.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  12.0 KB

Blog Entries

So... Wouldn't the lighting be... darker? Or at least more like indoor lighting than outdoor lighting.

Ever seen those little "buildings" and pillars in a subway system?

Either there's deep shadows everywhere (if it's a poorly lit subway) or there's like... no shadows at all... (if brightly lit) cause the lights are *everywhere*, not from one specific source.

If I were you, since most people associate "under" with "dark" I'd simply do a deeper/darker shade on everything... and maybe some overhanging areas of "brightness" where the stairs/tunnels/whatever leads DOWN, is...

But then again, I'm weird

I love, love, love your city!

A few unimportant details: it seems that in comparison the fourth quadrant in the lower right corner is relatively colorless - have you thought about giving it a touch more yellow? And I think the purple arrows are a nice idea. But you have placed them so that they point "up" and "down" right? I think it might be better to point them in the direction the stairs actually go, like this:

Name:	triangles.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	61056
    (or the other way around of course) I think that might look better than have them all face the same direction. Oh and again: The color. it does work the way it is, but it might work even a little bit better if the arrows had a slightly different color, since one of the quadrants is also purple. But again, this is really minor stuff!

As for Dökheim (interesting name btw): Same as Jalyha asked, how exactly is it "under" the city? Like upside down or just a lower floor? Unfortunately I have no idea how to make it look like that, a label specifying that this is the undercity might be your best bet?
    Do the other parts of the city have names too?

I noticed that in the separate round part on the top city there are slightly blue lines with a shadow, so they are obviously not streets, but I can't really identify what else they are supposed to be - water lines would surely be on the ground, or not?
    And I love that one single irregular street in the same section! I think it really is the only street that's irregular! Is there a story behind it? In my imagination this part of the city is the higher-class quarter where the rich people wearing lovely victorian steampunk clothes live…

Again: I really like this map and where you're going with it.

edit: whoops, took too long to write this post, question already answered
    And that's with great detail like "A COMPASS tells you which direction is north!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrillies View Post

I noticed that in the separate round part on the top city there are slightly blue lines with a shadow, so they are obviously not streets, but I can't really identify what else they are supposed to be - water lines would surely be on the ground, or not?

I assumed they were channels/pipes/tubes for water, since the city is floating But now I'm curious too!

By Jalyha
    If I were you, since most people associate "under" with "dark" I'd simply do a deeper/darker shade on everything... and maybe some overhanging areas of "brightness" where the stairs/tunnels/whatever leads DOWN, is...
    Woow ! That's an excellent idea! I don't know how to do it, but I love it. In fact, the quadrant is quite dark on large portions. The natural light is coming mainly from the artery. Elsewhere, it's artificial light, or almost no light at all in a few portions since some species are able to see in full dark.

Love the ideas you and Lyrillies had about the stairs too.

@ Lyrillies : you're right about the colors (yellow and color of the stairs/elevators). I'll try to improve that.
    The quadrant of Dökheim is about 10 meters lower than the upper city (so about 3 floors).

By Lyrillies
    And I love that one single irregular street in the same section! I think it really is the only street that's irregular! Is there a story behind it? In my imagination this part of the city is the higher-class quarter where the rich people wearing lovely victorian steampunk clothes live…
    Hum, that's covered streets. The pavement is made of a kind of blue marble, and that's why I chose this color... But if it looks like water, I guess I missed something.
    You're partly true, there are not many inhabitants here. It's the HQ of the Argonaut's Society. On one side, the Sessrumne Palace where all the bureaucracy and leaders are, on the other side the Bachorbladhra University (where argonauts are learning and improving their skills and knowledge, and where R&D in technology and magic is done).

ooh the idea about the light flooding in from the stairs is really great, I somehow didn't see that before!

Ah okay, that is kind of what I expected. In that case you might want to check on the details. Because there are fine lines separating those streets from all others, giving the impression that there is actually a barrier between them and other streets. If only the texture would change, that would be fine. Also, on some of those streets the layers must be in the wrong order because there are actually parts where the streets themselves have a shadow as if they were on a higher level than the other streets without marble. See here (sorry for the awful sketch):

Name:	streets.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	61059
    And that's with great detail like "A COMPASS tells you which direction is north!"

Blog Entries

"covered" streets... the awning/covering would leave a shadow... and end at a certain point.

But it *does* look odd in a couple of places.. idk why

The way I understood it it's not actually an awning, it is just a different material on the ground - he said the "pavement" is made out of marble, and then it wouldn't have a shadow. Maybe Ilanthar can clarify?

On a completely different note: aren't awnings usually made out of fabric? Or did I get the word wrong again?
    Last edited by Lyrillies; 02-05-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: me germaneness strikes again - the post sounded more harshly than I meant it.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast