I'd call this interpretive overlook sign a map. On the verge of being a annotated artwork, but technically, a map, and as others note above, art& science, photo& drawing, vertical, midperspective, & horizontal, much geolocation vs. few labels, diagram vs. photorealism - all those overlap and mix together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ExampleInterpretiveSign.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	60519
(Flickr user Monty VanderBilt, creative commons attribution license.)

It tells me graphically where stuff is. Given that we treat floor plans and horizontal cave layouts as maps, this is on the same spectrum. Without labels I'd say it was simply art.

A distinction artists have to put up with is between art and craft - the sometimes artificial distinction involving whether something has a practical use; whether its existence is primarily to serve a practical purpose or primarily to be enjoyed, to evoke emotion, to tickle the senses. "Fine artists" (or hoity toity experts thereof) may denigrate a rendition as "mere decoration" or "just illustration", where without the underlying pot or clothing or furniture, the colors and shapes might be deemed art. I am a bit more tolerant of a range of possibility, and the potential for overlap.

Guild posters will sometimes ask for an unlabeled copy of a map. The bare thing somehow gets demoted to being not-a-map, just-raw-material in that period between the original creator removing words and the eventual user adding his own. I'm okay withthe in-between thing being a "bare map" and the unlabeled time-ran-out contest entry being an "unfinished map". I'm also okay with a technical audience, like here, adhering to a more precise definition than a general audience might... so long as we remember publically arguing over whether it takes two symbols or twenty to make a picture a map is like so much arguing over how many angels dance on the head of a pin, to the lay person... to the USER.

I've had maps on the wall for info, for nigh on fifty years, and maps on the wall purely for pretty for forty. From across the room, either is mostly decor, and from six inches away, either is for geolocation. Only time I talk much of the difference is when folks on here decry their lack of artistic ability as dooming their carto endeavors... then I point out perfectly good, useful, even pleasant maps can be made by craft and science, with scarcely an artistic neuron firing.