Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - (ambitious) World Map of fictious earth-like planet

Ok, so I call this tectonics-devising finished. With some minor alterations, the last wip map I posted is the latest version and I am working on a final look.

This includes re-painting boundaries with an appropriate technique, including triangles for subduction areas. It also includes labelling the map to make it a self-standing object and not just a notes holder. Both are unfinished tasks at the moment, but here's how it is shaping up:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip_tectonicsdetail.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	64845

This might well be my first finished map to post at the finished maps section... I'm happy.

And I'm happy for you . Looks like it's going to be a great map!

Cheers - Akubra

Ooh, looks sexy!

Can't wait to see you working on the height-map again. Will you ever share with us what the technique you used on the cute penguin is?

EDIT (pinguin talk): see post #26, doesn't the continent on the east remind you of a pinguin?

EDIT 2: Checking the thread again from the beginning, Pixie does talk about the technique for the height-map (see post #3), which involves some lasso+bucket tool, but still I don't get the specifics of it.
    Last edited by groovey; 06-12-2014 at 06:47 AM.

Cute penguin? I think I must be lacking imagination. Great job Pixie if my map looks half as good as yours I'll be happy. Keep up the good work

Default WIP - (ambitious) World Map of fictious earth-like planet

Quote Originally Posted by groovey View Post
    Ooh, looks sexy!

Can't wait to see you working on the height-map again. Will you ever share with us what the technique you used on the cute penguin is?
    I second this! As im starting on my heightmap i do wonder what techniques are out there to help me along.

Stuck with a little decision... a detail, really, but I need to choose either option 1 or option 2, before I can continue this area of the map.. so, please, let me know:

Of the two maps below, which one seems more natural looking (the only difference is the subduction area)?

Name:	planA.gif 
Views:	91 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	65180
    This one I call "plan A"

Name:	planB.gif 
Views:	82 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	65181
    And this is "plan B"

(Oh, and please don't note... the triangles are on the wrong side of the subduction lines, I know)
    Last edited by Pixie; 06-24-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Pixie, if I follow my gut feeling, I would say plan B. I compared your solutions with the real thing (Earth), and I can't spot many long subduction zones that are split into different arcs. There's one running through Indonesia, but it's cut up with many microplates, very unlike your smooth boundary. When I look at the subduction zones east of the Nazca plate and the northern and northwestern boundary of the Pacific plate, they do look a bit like your plan B. But that's just what I see, of course.

Cheers - Akubra

yeah I would go with B also.

plan B it is!

I'm late but I agree, Plan B really catches my eyes, while Plan A put me a bit off I'm not sure why though.

Anyway, the boundaries' style looks really neat, can't wait to see the whole of it. So glad to see your working on your own map again.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast