Thread: WIP - (ambitious) World Map of fictious earth-like planet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

It's coming along really well pixie
    Have you "liked" a post today?

This is great! World maps fascinate me.

Funny how things progress, stall, dwindle and re-ignite...
    (warning, post for tectonics freaks)

Almost 5 months ago, I was doing detailed regional maps. They were the first ones to become canon for anything done in the future. In the meanwhile, I was doing history stuff (early civilizations, bronze age) as well, and some more geology to establish mineral rich regions... That was all good, even if a lot was in the backstage and too vague or incomplete to be posted.

Then a bug about my tectonics got to me - some areas I had neglected earlier, roughing it, were now becoming annoying, implausible... impossible. And tectonics weighs on you... So I stalled.

Then there were a few tutorials posted on tectonics. Every now and then, we have a small tectonics surge in here, a few good threads... Kacey and Pagan were working on their worlds, Warlin and Charerg did those valuable tutorials. I got back at it, doing the rock-crunching-invisible-work... Still at it, and it will take a few more months, at least. But it's going well.

So!... following advice from my friend Charerg, I'm posting a few maps in the next days.
    Today is 150 Million Years before present:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150Ma_clean.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	338.8 KB 
ID:	104964
    (a clean map, showing only continental platforms and landmasses)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150Ma_namesandbounds.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	725.9 KB 
ID:	104965
    including boundaries (incomplete in some regions, but not important)

The main things happening before this installment and the 125 Million Years (coming soon) are:
    - Krasia is just about stopping it's northeastwards movement, and is going to start feeling a pull towards west - as it's oceanic crust gets subducted.
    - Yet, before it does, it will still manage to seed chaos in the Dragoz super plate, breaking it into pieces.
    - Acur and Palamb are rifting apart, but Acur is also loosing Dahache peninsula, which will speed northwestwards and collide first with Dragoz.
    - The boundary between Kane and Dahache is a mess of subduction sections, as subduction just triggered, it will get even more messy as continental crust from Dahache aproaches.
    Last edited by Pixie; 02-27-2018 at 06:10 PM.