Thread: Elinore - A Diachronic City WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept

I am not entirely happy with the look of the islands either. One single large island occupying most of the river did not appeal to me, since the river is so wide (~1200m). Are you sure that in any case there is a river island then the river widens? Do you think just widening it a bit would make it look more realistic?
    I am not an expert in rivers or geology (or anything), and I don't want to die over details either, but if I can make it more realistic without too much work I'm all for it.

As for the tributary, there will be soon developments in that direction too. I think that such a wide river flowing through a plain should not have an insurmountable current. It better not, indeed, since the river is the main transport route for the region and the center of the entire civilization inhabiting it and its surroundings.
    Last edited by feanaaro; 01-23-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    I am not entirely happy with the look of the islands either. One single large island occupying most of the river did not appeal to me, since the river is so wide (~1200m). Are you sure that in any case there is a river island then the river widens? Do you think just widening it a bit would make it look more realistic?
    If you put islands in a river, any of several things could happen. The constraint is that if X cubic meters of water flow into and around the islands per second, X cubic meters per second must flow out the other side.
    First, the river could flood slightly in that area, or raise itself higher out of the banks. This is unlikely unless the river is descending at a fairly steep angle (and flowing quickly to begin with); on a flat river this scenario would have the water flowing briefly uphill.
    Second, the river could become deeper in that localized area. Also unlikely; the islands would erode quickly.
    Third, the water pressure could increase, but since these are rivers and not water pipes that won't happen.
    Fourth, part of the river could go underground for a short distance, but if you ask me that seems awfully contrived.
    Fifth, and most likely, the river will momentarily widen its course around the islands. If the islands are close to shore it may widen even more because it will not be so deep there.

Personally, I think it looks fine; it doesn't scream "this river is too narrow".

Z