Thread: Elinore - A Diachronic City WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept

In terms of realism and beauty, you are right. The problem is that if I make the main channel realistically wide (say 500m or more), then it would also be unbridgeable, defeating the story-driven purpose of having islands in the first place. (btw, what would be in your opinion the maximum width which would be bridgeable with some plausibility in a non-mechanized society?)
    6km would be too wide. I think of this river a bit like a longer Mississipi; that is to say a great river but not one so huge as the Amazon or the Congo in terms of discharge. This is because even if it drains a very large area, it is almost all within temperate/cold climates and almost all in the rain shadow of one or another mountain chain. Thus I would not expect the rainfall to be substantial enough to generate an Amazon-wide, or even Yenisei-wide, river.
    Wikipedia says that the Mississipi is ~1.6km at its widest. This one would probably be more, but since this place is still quite far from the mouth, I think that ~1.2-1.3km is within the realms of plausibility.
    Does this make sense?

Guild Journeyer

Default Romans! What are you doing!

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    ...The problem is that if I make the main channel realistically wide (say 500m or more), then it would also be unbridgeable, defeating the story-driven purpose of having islands in the first place. (btw, what would be in your opinion the maximum width which would be bridgeable with some plausibility in a non-mechanized society?)...
    Poking through a looong list of old Roman bridges on Wikipedia, I came across:

Puente Romano (Mérida) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    ...It is the longest surviving bridge from ancient times, having once featured an estimated overall length of 755 m with 62 spans...

I am not sure which conditions led the Romans to build this bridge, but I assume the large island helped. Based on that example, I would have to say bridging a river 500m wide is plausible to me, especially in an area where the river is shallower/has islands.