Thread: Best Method/Style for Rapid Map Sketching

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The reason is that Adobe was one of the first professional graphics applications on the market, and like most other 800 lbs. gorillas, they've bought out competitors, used advertising dollars that smaller companies don't have to crush the exposure of smaller developers. Photoshop and Illustrator, and their other applications are definitely quality software, but there are many applications that compare well with Adobe, and tries to outdo Adobe where they don't put in efforts - like making programs that are easy to learn and use, something that many other software developers try to excel at. I've used Adobe Photoshop since 1994, however I was using a different vector app bought out be Corel, for about 7 years before that, so Adobe was not my first application. I purchased it primarily to be able to open customer PSD files, and little more. I also had the sister image editing software that accompanied the vector app mentioned above, so I was already doing raster work before ever getting photoshop.

Also the Mac was the first platform the was idea for graphics applications, something that the PC couldn't do until Windows was available, then everything changed. When it was the Mac only, Adobe was one of the few developers that catered to graphics applications - there was no competition at the time.

Again, my first post in this thread is a link to an article to help potential cartographers figure out which application is best for their needs - raster, vector, CAD, 3D, tile stamper. I give the in's and out's of each, and point to hand-drawing preferences in helping you decide which application works most like you do. We each work differently and different applications cater to each of our particular styles and methods.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-22-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations