Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The island Antillia

Nice, the font is really appropriate now! It recalls me of good old maps of the begining of the 20th century - but without the "crowded with labels" aspect and a good artistic touch.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Better font indeed, though I'm not convinced by the seas labels...looks a bit too much. I'm not like Ilanthar about labels, I would like to see more of them on this map to crowd it more Also I'm not sure about the city placeholder. I wouldbn't bother that much about the empty space, it's not automatically a bad thing, and you could throw there some useless informations about the map itself (print date, creator, print manufacturay, you know that kind of stuff) that could gives more feel to the map.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks! I can like both ends of the label spectrum, an extremely crowded map really has a charm, but I think this one will stay rather low on labels. Mostly because it's hard to think of names that make historical sense and are grammatically correct in a language I don't speak I have added a few more though, all the cities I've marked and the districts. Also shrunk the sea labels, that might make them less too much. And tried replacing the blob with a blurb… Looks better I think. I'll do a little more before updating again though

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Thanks! I can like both ends of the label spectrum, an extremely crowded map really has a charm, but I think this one will stay rather low on labels. Mostly because it's hard to think of names that make historical sense and are grammatically correct in a language I don't speak

You could always learn/invent the language O:-)
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Nice old and updated feel to it . Like something from a 30's 40's National Geographic magazine.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say awesome job, such an amazing progression from start to end in my opinion.

By - Max -
    Better font indeed, though I'm not convinced by the seas labels...looks a bit too much. I'm not like Ilanthar about labels, I would like to see more of them on this map to crowd it more
    He, that wasn't a critic! I was just comparing Antillia with maps of 20's - 50's in my possession

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Many thanks! Yes, learning Portuguese for one map, why not?

Update! Unsure about the airports, maybe three would be too many considering the period… I figured, as Antillia is in the middle of the Atlantic, a lot of flights would stop there on the way to America/Europe. Maybe I should remove the one on the southeastern island though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antillia9.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	60945

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Many thanks! Yes, learning Portuguese for one map, why not?

See, you say it as a joke, but when I say it, I'm serious

Why not?

I don't think there would have been as many transatlantic flights during that period... and many of them might see it as an unnecessary deviation from course... but there would be many that did stop there. I think you should look at some modern areas with high flight-traffic, and how many airports they had for a certain size of area - now and then

I didn't look at the map, though, and think "Gosh, there sure are a lot of airports... " So I think it's probably not a huge thing? I dunno...
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

That's not Portuguese and I always though it was a weird text. Just hope your only using it as a place holder.

Nice map by the way !

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast