Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The island Antillia

This looks really legit. Enough so that I went searching for it online...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Wow man, I have been following this for a while now and it turned out REALLY well! I think when it's finished (proof read text ) and finalized, this could fool a lot of people! It really has the flavor of the 40's.
    I wouldn't really know what to improve.

I am also amzed by the fact that you do this by hand.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    @Jalyha: Haha, I've noticed that about attention span, if you don't mind me saying But hey, go for it!
    HEY! What are you trying to s... ooooo look a butterfly!!! *scampers off*

But yeah

RE: The text: Simple and informative. I like it. But... what does "restostored" mean? O:-)

RE: The airports: My mom (not my real mom, but my MOM) used to say to me, she'd say "Jalyha," (actually she'd use my real name but whatever) Anyway, she'd say "stop bothering so much over history. People can only handle so many facts about their real history. If we remembered half of what we'd done, accurately, we'd all go insane."

Of course, she was madder than a march hare, so...

What was my point? OH YEAH, okay so MOST of what we know about history is only partially true/accurate (if at all, lol) so ... uh.. forgot where I was going with this.

Anyway, if you add that to the whole "Fantasy, not real life" thing, you can take an awful lot of liberties.

2 airports is perfectly plausible - especially since you explained it, lol - I only meant that historical figures/data makes a good jumping-off place.

I'm glad if it helped you decide !!

(PS - I'm starting to be REALLY glad I didn't translate the latin. o.O )
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Hey, I like the story and the Visigothic idea!

Being portuguese, I love the whole thing. Great idea. I really love it, and I do like the map.

But, being portuguese, I'm going to nitpick on the details ...
    Novo Lisbon could be spelled "Nova Lisboa" or "Nova Lisbuna" (portuguese place names have feminine and masculine forms, cities are "women")
    "Sem Título" stands for "untitled"... is it supposed to be like that?
    "Brazil" comes from "fiery" as in "fiery wood", which is a type of red wood found only in Brazil. I can't see why a populated region found and settled way before that would get that name.
    "Santo Brendan" would look better as "Santo Brandao", as Brandao or Brando are the portuguese forms for the name.

There's a few other naming glitches I could point out, if you are interested, or I could just shut up and appreciate... something I'm good at as well if need be.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks guys, I appreciate it a lot!
    @Falconius: Found anything?
    @Llannagh: Thanks, I'll proofread the text yes, I wrote that pretty quickly, hehe… And you know, for me, it's amazing how everyone else is doing such awesome maps digitally. Graticules and labels and other machine-looking stuff is all I can do with PS, and I'm not even very good at it. I've painted by hand my whole life, so that comes much more naturally to me
    @Jalyha: Haha, amusing as your posts always are, I'm not sure I understood what you where talking about there Except that the airport number has your approval
    @Ilanthar: Thanks! The Visigothic background is based on the real legend. Those seven bishops and the names of the seven biggest cities are from a 15th century source (via Wikipedia, again).
    @Pixie: YES! Thank you so much! I was secretly hoping someone Portuguese would find this and point out my errors Please, if you have the time, tell me everything Sem Título was on purpose (missed the apostrophe though), a lame joke I guess… Maybe I should remove it? Vera Brazil is a reference to another phantom island called Brasil, and Santo Brendan is from another called Saint Brendan's Island. Do you think I should change it to Brandao? Might make it too hard to see the reference? I'll fix Nova Lisboa though. Thank you!

Blog Entries

That was the gist of it, anyway

I guess it just means... Everything we know about history is cobbled together from what other PEOPLE chose to write down. And people are people. Some of them lie, or smudge the truth for their own purposes.

As far as *records* ... well, if I'm stealing grain from the lord of the manor, I might mess with a few numbers to hide it. Or not record, as whoever-keeps-track-at-old-airports, the 20 times my buddy flew his small plane through without a permit, or.. y'know, whatever.

What my nutso auntie meant was about wars, or how the conquered were treated by the conquerors - USUALLY the victorious got to write down the history - and it almost always favored themselves So we get 30 accounts of "good king Redwash" and 1 badly faded, torn, dirtied copy of a letter outlining how horrible the man was.. what can we believe?

No single person ever tells the whole story - and the people who do the research and summarize everything, well, they weren't there, so they can't know for sure. So the BEST way to know what happened (and what's possible) is to look at all of the original sources, and come to reasonable conclusions.. or at least to check multiple sources.

Even then you can never be precisely sure.

But anywaay, all that meant was that, you don't have to interpret everything as being *exactly* the way it's been written, and especially not with fantasy stuff
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Very nice map, Well done!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Ah, ok Jalyha! I'm making up most of the history here really, just trying to tie it in with the legend and some factual events, but overall I'm more interested in plausibility than accuracy. I guess that means we are of the same opinion

Thanks Bogie!

Here's an update of the text. Didn't change anything major, just rephrased some stuff mostly, and some tweaks of detail here and there
    "Antillia was first settled in the eighth century, by Visigoths escaping the Muslim conquest of Hispania. According to legend, the emigrants where led by seven bishops who upon landing founded a city each – most historians believe this to be a romanticized version of truth, but the sites of the seven largest cities of Antillia have been inhabited since around this time, and the seven bishops are among our national saints.

There was little contact with the rest of Europe for a long time after the first settling. Antillia had everything it needed, and conducted so little trade that the island was almost forgotten in the mainland – and the other way around. It was ruled as a Visigothic Christian kingdom until 1429, when it was rediscovered by the rising Portuguese Empire.

The technological advances made by the Europeans took Visigothic Antillia by surprise, and for four centuries the island was governed over by Portugal. The main economic purpose of the colony was to produce wheat and silver, but it also simplified Portuguese travel to the Americas starting a few decades later.

Many rebellions took place during the colonial era, but none where successful until 1821. The Portuguese state was weakened by the Napoleonic War, and the final uprise couldn’t be stopped. Antillia became an independent state again. The local dialect of Portuguese remains the official language, and the districts and many city names are still the same as during the colonial era. The seven largest cities where returned to their old names though – the names that maybe or maybe not where given by the seven sainted Visigothic bishops."

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Pixie said everything about the names, as brazilian i guess all names in portuguese will be cool.

For the history, you have some powerfull legends: Atlantis

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast