Thread: My First Map - The Somewhatgeneric Region of Gustavia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip My First Map - The Somewhatgeneric Region of Gustavia

Hello!

After making my introductory post, I thought it might be best to follow through with a map i'm working on now!

For anyone who might have read my introduction, this map is the continuation (and effectively the third iteration) of the region I happened to be RPing in with my buddies. This is effectively my first map!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gustavia2.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	60710
    (thanks for the attachment hint!)

Anyways, some of the illustrative elements were inspired by/learned from Torstan's tutorials, and others (representation of the water) I tested on my own.

Errors I've already spotted:
    -The river is godawful I've been told (how to make better? Is a line of variable thickness better than a more colourful representation?)
    -The text for some of the smaller cities is disproportionately large (my bad, forgot to change the font back!)
    -and there is a line, a very annoying line on the left side of the incomplete forest

Stuff I'm working on:
    -Icon's for the cities

And that's about it 'till I get some critiques (and I mean critiques, I've been posting semi-terrible artwork online for a while now so I'm quite accepting of tough love!) from you guys!

Thanks for taking the time (hopefully!) to look at this (and critique it if you choose)!

EDIT:

As I am under a couple of posts, unfortunately it takes a little while for a moderator (or whoever checks new posts!) to greenlight my posts, so as a response to Diamond will hopefully appear shortly I'll instead use this space to update my map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gustavia3.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	60711

So, while GIMP can be fiddly with actual line thickness, I implemented two gradients: one blue=>black gradient, and one empty=>blue gradient which I used only at the mountainous end of the river! I also went back and redid Astavia's title, although it caused me grief to no end until I found out I had my brush on grain extract D:
    Last edited by Scoopz; 01-26-2014 at 04:28 PM.