Oooh now I get it! Thanks!

My desert on this continent definitely is standard "sandy waste" or "rocky waste" - but from how I understood it that's the kind of desert that would form on such a continent anyway.

I did what you suggested and had a look at the entire earth from google, but honestly most mountains then look like some weird brownish slobber. I think the problem is that that's not exactly the style I want to use for my map.

Ok so for making the features smaller: your suggestion is a possible solution but I think I would then have to go to a resolution of about 8000x11000 pixels in order to paint the peaks as small as they would have to be in the final image. That's a bit much for my little laptop and the reason why I basically skipped having any great detail and individual peaks at all in the last version. Partly because you wouldn't be able to see it anymore anyway.

Anyhow, this is still an option I'm willing to try (will have to split up the map for that but that's fine) but I'll have to wait for my graphic tablet to arrive before I can do that.
But in preparation for this I went and tried to find maps of how pangea possibly could have looked like and found this:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blakey_220moll.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	60985
(it's from wikipedia so there should be no copyright issues with posting it here)
So what I see here is the following: The mountains are depicted mostly by very fine scrapes and a change in color. This I can do, but I kind of tried it before and it didn't really work in terms of making the land seem bigger. One of the reasons why pangea here looks so big is probably because it's projected onto that flat globe.

Ok long story short: my conclusion is that while that may help and I will definitely try your suggestion when my tablet comes on friday, Jalyha, I doubt it's gonna resolve the issue entirely. Another aspect is the coastline, I will rework that so that it seems more fractalised and therefore the individual features on the coastline will look smaller, making it seem like they are shown from greater distance -> ergo the continent seems bigger in total.
And that's everything I have. So if that doesn't work I'm truly stuck.

Uhm anyway... I can't do any of this before friday. which sucks. I wanna try this now.