Thread: WIP: Aardia and the Kyzian Empire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Hiya. That looks like a LOT of work. And very well done!

2 things... the rhumb line heading WNW from the compass to the "Inner Sea" label, it looks.. wobbly? (printed version) Is that intentional, or just my screen, or...

Second... I personally find the rhumb lines that go THROUGH the land/plaque/etc to be distracting.... I don't know what the standard is for these types of maps, but I should think if they were for sailing/navigation, having them only through the water would be fine? Just one opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Hiya. That looks like a LOT of work. And very well done!

2 things... the rhumb line heading WNW from the compass to the "Inner Sea" label, it looks.. wobbly? (printed version) Is that intentional, or just my screen, or...

Second... I personally find the rhumb lines that go THROUGH the land/plaque/etc to be distracting.... I don't know what the standard is for these types of maps, but I should think if they were for sailing/navigation, having them only through the water would be fine? Just one opinion
    Thanks!

The 2nd picture is actually of the map printed on paper, which has been rolled up and then unrolled on the table. It's curled somewhat, so the lines look wobbly there. They are straight in the original file (and straight if you hold the paper out flat). I like having a physical artifact to give the players, makes it feel more real sometimes.

My last post has a link to the portolan chart wiki entry that has a picture of a real 1300s-era example; the lines ran over the land. It's not intended for land navigation, so they apparently just took a straight edge and ran it through the whole map--they also don't draw any inland cities or terrain on these maps. Once you hit land, you're expected to pull out a land-based map I guess.
    Last edited by SumnerH; 01-28-2014 at 09:50 PM.