Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Mapping Goat island - With real goats!

Blog Entries

Thanks Korash!

... I was leaning toward the northern end as well

I'm... probably doing something wrong, but every time I set a layer to "overlay" (I'm using gimp) when I merge it, later, it doesn't look the same.. it looks like it would if I had it set to normal?

I'm too lazy to figure out why, so I've just been avoiding it

But I'm reading the tutorial (and a few others that caught my eye again) right now!
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Blog Entries

My biggest problem is that it is VERY hard to control my 7 year old mouse, and I have no other way to put lines/colors into my laptop.

I did a quick minute-sketch of goat island (more detailed than my gimp version, but not by much)

The problem I hit is getting it on the computer. The only thing I have is my cruddy webcam, and this is the result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goat islanddd.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	61008

I think I may have to invest in some sort of drawing equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    My biggest problem is that it is VERY hard to control my 7 year old mouse, and I have no other way to put lines/colors into my laptop.
    I think I may have to invest in some sort of drawing equipment
    then wait a bit, mine celebrated her 12th birthday and she's pretty docile.
    The overall quality is poor. You could try taking a picture with a camera.

Blog Entries

Lol we don't have meeces we has a hamster

I haven't got a digital camera, a scanner, a cell phone, or a tablet, lol. I'm pretty much living in the dark ages.

I looked at some electronics at walmart today but idk what to get, even if I could afford it :/

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I'd be very interested in seeing a more or less completely hand-painted map by you A scanner is pretty much a necessary investment then though. A4 scanners aren't too bad in price, especially if you're ok with doing some touch-ups and color tweaks in GIMP or such, and you can still scan larger paintings with it by pasting together segments.

Blog Entries

Is that allowed? That would be sooooo much easier...

A4 = one of those hand-held scanner thingies?

A4 refers to the paper size, or in the case of the scanner the size of the bed. A4 is the regular letter size. I'd recommend getting a little bigger one than that ideally as long as the price is ok. I don't even think they make those hand scanner things anymore tbh.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Is that allowed? That would be sooooo much easier...
    Not entirely sure what kind of place you think this is You could draw a map in mud and take a picture of it and uploaded it if you wanted to. People just come here to learn how to get better at drawing maps

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    A4 refers to the paper size, or in the case of the scanner the size of the bed. A4 is the regular letter size. I'd recommend getting a little bigger one than that ideally as long as the price is ok. I don't even think they make those hand scanner things anymore tbh.
    Yeah, I am so spoiled, I have a 36 inch wide roll top style full color scanner (limited 300 ppi), its a part of my Canon IP 760 inkjet printer (mounted above the printer) - I can scan up to 36 inches by 10+ feet! An 11 x 17 flatbed scanner used to be my "large format scanner" - now I'm just spoiled.

@ Jalyha - I don't have (nor want) a cell phone either. I have a drawing tablet I never use - so personal electronics, I lack, but studio level graphic electronics, I have in spades.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-04-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

There are no rules, Jalyha All my maps are painted with watercolors, ink, pencil, and/or acrylics, with some additions digitally. The Antillia map has a lot of digital stuff (for me), others have almost nothing except a color restoration after scanning. And A4 is 210x297mm, standard printer paper. From what I found when I bought my scanner, they get exponentially more expensive as you go up in size (well, haven't done the math, and there are exceptions of course, but you get my point…).

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast