Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inhabited Tower [WIP]

Thanks for all the feedback folks, really some good finishing improvements to be had. I implemented the following changes: interior object shadows, directional offset, and intensity reduced (looks less like they are floating hopefully); gradients added to stairways along with correcting the way one of the walls was casting on a stair that was climbing above it; border shadows greatly reduced; doors added with their fixtures; added some random filth to the paper background; light intensity some objects was reduced, as well as any saturation I felt was too high; and labels added. Not sure how I feel about the fonts being different for the enumeration and labels but I'll leave it for now. I concur with you about the windows, next time I will make insets in the walls to indicate them, but I'm going to let it go on this one. The usefulness of bedrooms definitely depends on on how story/investigative vs. combat driven the game is. The order also depends on weather the challenge lies in getting to the top or getting out through the tower again after you've reached the top and activated magical dangers below (turn back from that one skiddish players).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ex5V3.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	61139

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

I really like this map. I love your choices of colours and textures.

It's also a nice generic map that's easy to slip into anyone's fantasy game, but you've even been nice enough to build some intriguing story hooks right into the map. It's almost forcing it's way into my game (obviously the work of the powerful mage who lives there!)

Glad you like. I hope it proves useful to you should you decide to throw it at your unsuspecting players.

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Very nice. I'm curious about your process. In particular, how'd you go about making the basic wall shapes? The fact that the gaps between stones in the masonry retain radial symmetry all around the circumference of the tower is nice.

Walls are all done by cutting out sections of a layer mask, I used a grid so things would be even up. For the lines on the walls I simply made a line and rotated it about a central pointed and overlaid it.
    Last edited by madcowchef; 02-18-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Hmm, good technique. I'll have to remember that.

Guild Journeyer

I really love the map, but the anal-retentive in me cries out for a spell-check (laboratory, apprentice).

Seriously though, very nice work. Really like your texture choices and I think you've made it feel very lived-in.

Sadly no spell check in Photoshop and I could not, under the best of conditions, spell my way out of a wet perforated paper bag. Thanks for catching that for me.

From one spelling challenged person to another, Great Map!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12