Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Crown Colonies

Default The Crown Colonies

For an experiment I'm going to do a map in an older style, mostly hand-drawn - and for the first time in a while, no bevels. The mountains and hills are part of my Old West Hand-Drawn Map Object set, so were created quite a while ago, but works for the needs of this map.

This is the Crown Colonies, something comparable to the New World east coast.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crown-colonies.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	870.5 KB 
ID:	61393
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Next, I've created all the rivers and forests. I might add some swamp/marsh area and that should complete the landforms. Following that I begin the labeling process, which will dominate this map. Moving right along.

GP

Name:	crown-colonies-1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	61403
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

You are making quick work of this!

The forest border looks a little too clear and defined though when in comparison to the drawn landform lines around it.

No problem, I plan to change the color and give it a 40% transparency, and maybe a fractal cloud transparency as well - that's what I did to the coastal edge line.
    DrivethruRPG store

Initial labeling on the way, I want to imply Britain, even borrow Roman Britain place names, then made up sovereign based names to represent each colony and the major town in each. I also want to include native American sounding rivers, forest, mountain names, along with some English sounding ones (I don't want to copy actual locations, except in a few instances). The Strathclyde reference is a knod to my Scottish ancestors. Oh, I plan to design a cartouche around the Map Title.

Any name suggestions would be helpful.

GP

Name:	crown-colonies-label.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	61435
    DrivethruRPG store

I plan to change "Charlotta" to "Carlotia", however, I am not happy with "Edwardia", but I wanted to pay homage to a different monarch than George or Elizabeth, so it would be like "Georgia" or "Virginia", but not. Edward, Henry, and many other possibilities come to mind, but I'm unsure how to make those names pertain to a colony. Any better suggestions?
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

Old standards? Like Edwardston, Jamestown, etc?

Edit: I LOVE Carlotia as a name
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Not against the old standards, but I'm looking for names for Colonies, not towns, burgs, or hams. I'll be sure to include many "tons", "burgs" and "hams" for town names and colonial capitals though.
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

Ohhhh Right, I get that you want names for the bigger areas, yes?

What about -land

Like Mary-land is maryland and such.

And New- something...

Not real creative, but it does give a few names for fillers if you need them.
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post

And New- something...
    Oo oo what about New Hennary for Henry???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast