Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CWBP 2 : Era and Technology

Ok, well i'm going to stay out of both magic and technology from now on. I seem to have a much different conception of these low/mid/high definitions than most people.

I'd also love it if some more people wanted to contribute there own era/tech templates too. That makes it very clear about what they want. So far we are only really discussing one point on mine. If you have a different vision please share it.

Blog Entries

How would guns add to "fantasy" in any way? Guns are not a "fantastical element". They're guns. O.o
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoopz View Post
    Ok, well i'm going to stay out of both magic and technology from now on. I seem to have a much different conception of these low/mid/high definitions than most people.
    Please stay. Fight for what you want. I represent only one opinion, my own.

Guns =/= less fantasy.

That would be like arguing that because we had swords this would be way too close to real life.

Blog Entries

No, but they don't equal more fantasy either. YOUR argument for guns was:

But god, it's mid fantasy! There should be some some fantastical elements goddammit! and if the magic is gonna be 'subtle' than the weaponry better be more than that!

EDIT: you see, something's got to be fantasy about this.

Which, if we take out the unnecessary epitaths, is (at least from what I gathered)

"it's mid fantasy! There should be some some fantastical elements! If not magic, then guns!

EDIT: you see, something's got to be fantasy about this."

My retort was that guns are not fantastical elements and one subject has nothing to do with the other.

In other words, guns have nothing to do with fantasy.

So I don't see your point at all.

EDIT: And yes, guns do detract from the fantasy element, in a way swords do not, because more people *associate* swords with fantasy.

Ok, i'll just shut meh trap then!

If you guys don't like this direction then that's fine, and i'll concede.

Blog Entries

No one wants you to "shut your trap" (at least I don't)

But I, personally, would like to hear (calmly/logically) *why* and *how* you feel guns would add to the fantasy, or what your other reasons for wanting their inclusion is.

You've just as much right to express your ideas/opinions as anyone else, but without some sort of reasoning, it probably won't sway anyone.

Well, I thought that because there seemed to be some general discontent with current technology levels, that arquebuses might be a fun addition, I love musket battles and etc. (I played Napoleon and Shogun 2 Total War to death) and they do add a lot of turbulence to worlds, which is what I like when it comes to fantasy. Really my whole post wasn't even about "guns", I just said we could bend the rules some and add weapons or elements that didn't exactly fit in to the late medieval era to make the world more interesting.

EDIT: it isn't so much as adding to the fantasy as adding to the diversity of the world. It's a relatively small thing actually, most-and I mean a lot- of people wouldn't even know what a gun is.

Plus, it's important to make the distinction between guns (small arms) and cannons. Guns are almost unread of but cannon existed in the late middle ages. If someone want to know how effective firearms (especially) where at that time, he should read the story of the siege of Constantinople. That would help to get an idea.

Seen from that angle they are almost risible.

If I recall, the main problem was a massive loss of pressure. Basically, the first guns where probably as powerful as a sling. That's why they use massive cannons. The weight of the ball inflict more damage than it's kinetic energy.
    Last edited by Azélor; 02-17-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast