Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Since nothing is working (and I have ADD) a world from tectonics up

Blog Entries

Okay so (keeping in mind i wasn't as careful outlining my "major areas"... this is what I had for Northern Winter:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pangea.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	451.4 KB 
ID:	61221

AND

Northern Summer:

Views:	79 
Size:	453.7 KB 
ID:	61222

So... am I at least doing it right? If so, I will do a more careful, detailed one If not, I have to have a CAT Scan
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Yea. That looks good. Just add in some gradation because a 0 next to a 5 makes no sense. You did it right (at least it looks similar to what I expected) what I'm getting at is that the numbers really only give you half the info. The rest is artistic vision. Just insert 1-4 into the space between and you should be good.

It was the same for mine, I just covered the numbers on the same layer (dumb)

Sent from my Samsung Centura using Tapatalk.

Blog Entries

Okie, I will color it prettier then ^.^

Glad I'm kind of getting it lol

Then I'll just put together my wind, and precipitation, and temperature maps and try to figure out what actually goes in each area

Blog Entries

Actually... I think you might be off?

If I just randomly decide that it must be wrong/need fixing and change it, I'm gonna get random results.

So I was thinking how can I merge these areas into something comprehensible and I realized that the main reason the precipitation maps matter is because it gives a picture of, not just the summer/winter rainfall, but the AVERAGE ANNUAL rainfall.

So, being a bear of very little brain... I averaged them. I outlined all the areas in my winter map on a new transparency. Then on the same transparency, I outlined my summer map. Then, I averaged the numbers... if an area is purple (3) in one, and yellow (0) in the other that's a total of 3 divided by 2 seasons and I've got a 1.5 area.

So... When I finished that, the "0s" weren't really so far from the "5s".

This is what I ended up with:

Views:	103 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	61223

So, I'm thinking, if I expand my color scheme, and color this in, I'll see a more plausible clime, and without "fudging" the results

I also think it makes more sense that way... there's more differences in precipitation than 5...

So... although I never would get anything if I tried to figure out the more complicated rains in each season, I think it will be better to go off this expanded representation for determining the actual biomes?

I don't know if I'm explaining my thoughts well... does this make any sense at all?

EDIT: I mean like making it a scale of 1-10... the .5s would be a 1, 1 would be a 2, 1.5 a 3, and so on... 10 point difference instead of 5?
    Last edited by Jalyha; 02-09-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: me r newb

Blog Entries

My weird concept colored in:

Views:	105 
Size:	498.9 KB 
ID:	61226

?????

The only problem with average is that it may give you a mistaken impression of some of the more nuanced environs like savana which swings wildly. But sometimes the really gritty detail like that is beyond your scope. Its all about what serves the artistic vision best.

As far as scale goes it doesn't really matter. The reason I normalize is that I've defined 0 as the least and 5 as the most. My map never had any big need of it, but mine is also less extreme. Not criticism, just true. The fact that your map has so many factors that lead to extreme climate it makes sense that you have things that go over 5 and under 0. Your original map looked really good. Not sure I understand the new one.

Blog Entries

Okay I just think better in color lol

I'm not replacing the seasonal with the average, I'm just adding to it.

I think you're right, mine needs more detail cause it's CRAZY I didn't mean for it to be, that's just the way the playdoh plates moved

I'm adding heat maps too!

I used your technique for the precipitation (modified for heat factors) to get a better heat map (since mine was mostly guesswork). It is taking a LONG time

Which map looked good and which one you don't understand? I'm confused, cause I posted too many xD

Blog Entries

OMG It almost looks like a real map!!

I spent ALL NIGHT (literally - it's 5 am-ish) And I think I've got a reasonably believable heat map (at least, for my virtually prehistoric planet).

So this is the heat-map-in-progress:

Views:	94 
Size:	1,002.2 KB 
ID:	61243

ANDDDDDDD This is the semi-finalized version:

Views:	94 
Size:	891.8 KB 
ID:	61244

What do you all think?! ^.^

Looks about right. Even the warm poles (Triassic earth had temperate climates at the poles). I think this is spot on.

And the ones I liked were in post 31.

Blog Entries

Awesome ^.^

I'M building a whole planet from nothing "I have ultimate power. Yeeees."

Oh the summer/winter rainfalls. I liked those they were fun ^.^

Okay well what happened is... because of the wind and the shape of my mountains, some of the winter/summer areas didn't line up exactly (plus, I'm sloppy) so... I went and basically just laid them over the top of each other but that meant not only were some areas 0-5, but there were areas *in between* ... those weird areas that didn't overlap right.

So instead of having a "0.5" on the map, which would be confusing, (the one with the numbers!) I decided to just make it a 0-10 color scale. I think I made some poor "in between" color choices, though

But it's the same type of scale you used? just... bigger.

Basically what it shows is like... a farmer's report... Total precipitation for the whole year. If you look at in inches(cm?) instead of colors it might make more sense :/

I did the same for the heat map, except I used a suggested color scheme, and labeled it better ^.^ So I guess the ones you didn't get would be called "Average Mean Precipitation"?

Anyway, I might redo that one but it's more just a reference for me

Also... I wonder if it's a subliminal thing... ever since you said "Triassic" now I keep seeing a dinosaur as my center continent D:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast