Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Since nothing is working (and I have ADD) a world from tectonics up

What is the symbol under the Celsuis scale ? They usually use the Kelvin if there is more that one temperature scale.

Your poles are very hot, but I guess it is possible.

Blog Entries

NOPE not Kelvin... that's the local temperature scale in the language of the people of that world... I just made it up!!

The poles ARE hot. First, cause it's a smallish planet, and second because of the large masses of land there. It scared me at first but it makes sense when I looked at the numbers, and the *why* of the numbers...

They might cool off again though... I still need to put the wind/heat/precipitation maps together and get something more... accurate ^.~
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Blog Entries

Okay... I'm so lost. How does "super hot and always rainy" differ in any visible (map-wise) way from "super-hot and rainy most of the year" or "super-hot and rainy all summer"?

Super hot and always rainy is rainforest while hot and only rainy in summer is savana.

Sent from my Samsung Centura using Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    NOPE not Kelvin... that's the local temperature scale in the language of the people of that world... I just made it up!!

The poles ARE hot. First, cause it's a smallish planet, and second because of the large masses of land there. It scared me at first but it makes sense when I looked at the numbers, and the *why* of the numbers...

They might cool off again though... I still need to put the wind/heat/precipitation maps together and get something more... accurate ^.~
    It's entirely possible that the poles are hotter that ours, I haven't put much time thinking about this possibility.

Savanna can also be : hot + rainy only in winter

So map wise, I guess it depend what time of the year it is. During the rainy season and afterward, it's green everywhere. But this dry up as time passes and some area will look almost like deserts. Not all places will experience such a big climatic contrast. Some places like Caracas Venezuela still have rain during the dry season. It's considered savanna only because there is a huge difference in rainfall but it's far from becoming a desert.

Blog Entries

I'm still wavering on the heat of the poles... it matches up, but it makes me nervous >.<

So... wait... to draw the world accurately, I'd pretty much need summer AND winter maps even of the actual planet? >.<

How does anyone ever map anything? D:

Okay, done whining now. Back to work, lazy Jalyha!

Blog Entries

Did I do a good map? D:

Okayyyyyyyyyyy this was much harder than the others, but I just couldn't wrap my head around the information in the previous precipitation maps... just... couldn't do it.

So... I found a better color scale (Thanks to free-to-use maps of my county, which I got idea of from another thread...) And I repainted both my January and June Precipitation maps in laborious detail.

SO I think it looks better, and I can visualize the rain better now, so I'm happy!

Oh, yeah, and I named my world, I think... not on purpose, these things just happen randomly with me...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ibala.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	646.0 KB 
ID:	61299

and

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ibala 2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	656.1 KB 
ID:	61301

Seems better, way better.
    One question is this map to be used in conjunction with the temperature map to establish climate areas using "Geoff's Climate Cookbook"? If so, you don't need so many different levels for rain - just Very Dry, Dry, Moderate, Wet and Very Wet.
    If you are going to follow the actual Koppen classification, then what you have is what you need.

Either way, I'd say you're in the right path.

Blog Entries

I did use the climate cookbook, got all the way up to establishing the biomes, and couldn't figure out the subtleties, so I wasn't sure what to do. Sounds like this koppen thing may be just what I need ! Thanks.

And thanks for the compliment

Blog Entries

OMG this koppen thing is complicated D:

I love it, but it takes a lot of calculating, and I *do* need that annual precipitation map (with the improved scale) so I have to make that first, so no update yet...

Also... because of the giant landmasses on the poles, I have no "arctic" climates... and all of my lands are above freezing, so my classifications will have to be a bit different, yes? Anyone?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast