Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Since nothing is working (and I have ADD) a world from tectonics up

LOL, if you want to invent climate classifications as well what's stopping you from "inventing" everything?

Now, on a serious note, the point of climate classification is to make it easier to identify what sort of climate a region has. If you don't use a system people is familiar with, then there's no point - as you are not making it easier at all.

Blog Entries

No I mean, like... I have TROPICAL/humid (A) climates with 70% of rainfall in winter (s).... but there's no "As"

Then, I have some highlands on my poles what do you do with that?

Also 94.3% of my land has over 125 cm of annual precipitation, so could be prone to monsoons... 3.2% of that land has any months with less than 6 cm... but of that 3%... NONE of those areas are on the coast. So... what? The water jumps over the coast and smashes into a village 400 miles away? >.<

How do I account for the WEIRDNESS of my world compared to earth?

EDIT: Nvm my math was way off... that's what I get for working in metrics >.< But... here's my areas that from what I've gathered, are monsoon areas (SHORT dry season, driest month < 6cm(60mm?) precipitation w/ annual precip. > 1250 mm(125cm))

What am I still doing wrong?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monsoons.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	61327
    Last edited by Jalyha; 02-12-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Blog Entries

Default I could really use some help here :(

Okay so here's a pic of those monsoon-able areas again, with a inset showing my work screen trying to figure out all the Koppen Classifications and I'm going NUTS

Name:	monsoons 2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	61329

The C/D thing.... My "polar" regions are very warm/large/covered by land and don't behave like polar regions... more like mid-latitude zones... more temperate (comparitively) so I'm thinking (since the poles are still colder than the rest) they might behave more like the Cold mid-latitudes, and the actual mid-latitudes would behave as the warm mid-latitudes.

Since the whole thing with this classification system is that it's determined by the type of *vegetation* that grows there, this makes sense to me... does it make sense to others? D:

2nd... when there's a conflict in the classifications... which thing takes priority? Heat? Wind? Water? Location? Pressure? Everything? If there's a conflict does it mean I messed up? If so, where?

My brain hurts. And I have no idea what to do about the durned monsoons >.<

Help?

I think you misunderstand how monsoon works : Monsoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, clouds will form over the coasts and move toward the low pressure zones.

Blog Entries

But .... gah lemme find it again.

Okay. Yes. That's how a *monsoon* works... I'm speaking of the Tropical Monsoon *climate* (Am on Koppen classification) which:

Tropical Monsoon Climate:

Tropical monsoon climates have monthly mean temperatures above 18°C in every month of the year and feature wet and dry seasons, as Tropical savanna climates do. Unlike tropical savanna climates however, a tropical monsoon climate's driest month sees less than 60 mm of precipitation but more than (100 − [total annual precipitation {mm}/25]). Also a tropical monsoon climate tends to see less variance in temperatures during the course of the year than a tropical savanna climate. This climate has a driest month which nearly always occurs at or soon after the "winter" solstice for that side of the equator.
    All my zones that meet those qualifications are far from the coast... and not always in the direction of the low pressure zones...

So does that mean I have no monsoon climates? no monsoons at all? Monsoons through the whole are reaching back to the coast from those zones? >.< I'm so lost.

The middle continent would definitely get monsoons. Its huge east to west which is the biggest thing.

Sent from my Samsung Centura using Tapatalk.

Blog Entries

Right, which is what I thought.. but I'm not getting monsoon climates there almost at all... which means I messed up somewhere, right? >.<

Blog Entries

Here's my biomes-in-progress (tentatively nearly done) with the Monsoon climates laid over the top (that would be the bright yellow... they've cut right through my mountains and highlands in a few places, which I'm pretty sure is impossible? And how are they coming up from the coast here? It just feels... wrong... but I triple checked everything!

Name:	monsoons.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	61351

Where did I mess up?

I think it would be much easier to decide the climates with the Koppen classification and then, set the precipitations and temperature. Then you will know the temperature and rainfall range for each area. I think it's easier to visualize the climates as they appear with Koppen than a combination of annual precipitation and temperature and it's also easier because the possibilities are more limited.

Monsoon and rain usually don't cross mountains ranges and high plateau. The monsoon in India is the strongest on earth, yet it barely reach Tibet. Yea, highlands can also block the rain if they are high enough.

Blog Entries

That's what I should have done, but I wanted to work forward instead of backward for once

Yeah, the mountain thing was what made me realize something was seriously off.

Fortunately I found the issue... there was a point where I mixed up my *average* rainfalls and my *total* rainfalls... which barely, if at all, affects the biomes, but DRAMATICALLY affected the monsoon climates. I'll post an update shortly ^.^

(Or maybe in the morning cause I'm exhausted and have to redo every single thing I did today

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast