Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Since nothing is working (and I have ADD) a world from tectonics up

Default Re: WIP: Since nothing is working (and I have ADD) a world from tectonics up

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I think it would be much easier to decide the climates with the Koppen classification and then, set the precipitations and temperature. Then you will know the temperature and rainfall range for each area. I think it's easier to visualize the climates as they appear with Koppen than a combination of annual precipitation and temperature and it's also easier because the possibilities are more limited.

Monsoon and rain usually don't cross mountains ranges and high plateau. The monsoon in India is the strongest on earth, yet it barely reach Tibet. Yea, highlands can also block the rain if they are high enough.
    It would be easier, but not the point of the exercise. The other way may get a really nice map that stands up to a cursory glance, but working through this way gives you what "has to be" not what "should" and as she has shown, its pretty darned precise when you're careful.

Sent from my Samsung Centura using Tapatalk.

Jalhya, have you considered the hypothesis that that climate simply does not occur in your planet? It's pretty possible. I mean, on Earth it only really happens in 1 out of 7 continents.
    Don't force it into being, let your "initial tectonics" dictate the roll of the dice.

Blog Entries

@eternalsage yep I was being lazy (caught that subtlety!) I'm fixing it now

@Pixie yes, thank you. There are several climates that don't occur here, and you're right, ... but my whole planet is so... idk how to explain it. Everything else about the planet and its' climates suggested there would be tons of monsoon climates, except my calculations about the monsoon climates. So I knew I'd gone wrong somewhere. I kept going anyway, thinking, as you suggest, maybe it's a fluke, and there just aren't any here... but still kept getting signs I should have monsoons out the... well. So. I realized that I'd been using the wrong precipitation map (rainfalls for winter) to get the total precipitation in certain areas. That didn't affect anything else on a real noticeable level because I only *really* needed the total cm of precipitation for monsoon climates.

It *did*, however, dramatically affect the monsoon climates (and because it is a *range* of totals, instead of a single number, it affected not just the orientation, but the *size* of those climates as well!)

So if I'm right *this* time, here's my monsoon climates:

Attachment 61368

Which makes more sense, taking everything about my planet into consideration.

I don't know if I'll bother figuring where the monsoons actually *hit*, but the climates make much more sense
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Blog Entries

Ibala's biomes (with monsoon climates on multiply...)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pangea.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	578.2 KB 
ID:	61372

Still have to go in and do the more detailed areas, and make it pretty and add labels and then, hopefully, be able to make some actual maps of it

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I've never done any of this climate classification so I don't know how helpful I'd be there, but I just wanted to say that I like the shapes in your world very much!

Blog Entries

Thanks Lingon!!

Climate stuff is nearly done. Should I start a new WIP for the maps, once the world is built, or keep everything here? D:

Blog Entries

Mini Update... taking longer than I thought

Name:	Ibala.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	432.0 KB 
ID:	61410

Now that looks like a proper climate/biomes map for a realistic planet.

Fractals look realistic most of the time just because they hint a high level of complexity. But they often fall into either being too repetitive or too chaotic. This, on the other hand, is true complexity driven from some simple rules and some starting random conditions.. Well done!

What's next for this world?

Blog Entries

Thanks Pixie!!

Well, I still need to rough up the edges on the biomes a little, but I do think this is, essentially, my planet, unless anyone finds some glaring error(s) somewhere.

What's next? Well, the name I accidentally/randomly gave my planet, is Ibala, which happens to be a Zulu word for a wide open swathe of land.

So... I suppose I'm working with a heavy African influence.

I'm pretty excited about this planet and I want to do several maps for the multitude of plots running through my head.

I think I will start (because it will be easiest, since boundaries tend to follow the geography) with a political map showing the different tribes of people on the world.

I'm torn, though, because I kind of want to paint it out, satellite style, first

I might work on both.

Then, (because Lingon got the idea stuck in my head) I'll make the major locations and trade routes

After that I want to do some purely artistic regional maps.

I'm probably being too ambitious and overestimating myself, but it'll be fun to try!

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Mini Update... taking longer than I thought

Name:	Ibala.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	432.0 KB 
ID:	61410
    Is that the rainfall map ?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast