Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
Is it normal that the globe is stretched right left ? Also, I think the lightning effect is too strong. I know the desert have a strong albedo but this look more like there is a star between the planet and the viewer
eh.... the stretching thing was "it's past my bedtime"-ness and you're right I should tone down the lighting I just forgot how I got it so bright (plus trying to hide the lack of any rivers/real mountains yet ^.^!

Quote Originally Posted by eternalsage View Post
Okay, the wind is done in with the pressure on the maps we've been playing with (They are the swirly bits coming off or going into the major pressure zones, btw). To get an accurate depiction of your rainfall, you have to take into account quite a few variables. A quote from the Climate Cookbook:

Code:
Factor              High precipitation                        Low precipitation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pressure            ITCZ, on or near the equator              STHZ
Mountains           Windward sides                            Leeward sides, in rain-shadow
Prevailing winds    Onshore                                   Offshore or parallel
Coastal currents    Warm                                      Cold, especially in low latitudes
Location            West coasts subject to PF, and inland     Interiors
What I did was make a numeric scale of relative rainfall (mine was 0 to 5) and go through and assign each major location a value. They all start at 2 (which is the median value). Then you go through and raise and lower values according to the chart quoted above. For example, a place on (or near) the ITCZ is going to go up by 1 while a location on (or near) the STHZ is going to down by one. Then I move on to Mountains, increasing numbers on the windward sides, and reducing numbers on the leeward sides. Only change a value by 1 on any single pass (Pressure, mountains, winds, etc). When you have done all the adjustments, normalize the values (don't let any values go above 5 or below 0, as such a thing doesn't exist) by simply moving anything above 5 down to 5 and anything below 0 up to 0. I then colored by numbers to create my two rainfall maps over in my thread.

Maybe I should work this up into a tutorial? Any way, see if this helps.

Did you just throw math at me? D:

I'm kidding, I'm kidding I can do basic addition

Why can't they go above 5 or below 0? What if your world is so dry it SUCKS UP ALL THE MOISTURE from the surrounding air?

Sorry I'm kidding, I'll be good

I think a tutorial would be great. Call it "Climate for Dummies: Jalyha this means you!"

(Seriously I need that sometimes!)

But okay, I will see if I can follow this

Stay tuned !!