Thread: Night time city maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beautiful! If you had not said that these were CGI, I would have not given them a second thought as real. Amazing work. I appreciate that you don't want to give away any secrets, but any chance you could share the general process? You should post these up at the Cartotalk forum which is geared towards real-world mapping.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Beautiful! If you had not said that these were CGI, I would have not given them a second thought as real. Amazing work. I appreciate that you don't want to give away any secrets, but any chance you could share the general process? You should post these up at the Cartotalk forum which is geared towards real-world mapping.
    Thank you for the kind words...i am a little bit hesitant to give away much as, at least for the moment, i seem to be the only one doing these kind of maps..although I'm sure that will change at some point.

But to give you a little hint, i used OSM data on roads and used that data in conjunction with my 3d and compositing knowledge to layer together the maps...there are LOTS of layers and they bring my machine (which is a beast) to its knees..

The hardest part is filling in the gaps left by missing building data (which is very common) realistically..to be honest, I'm still working on that technique. I only used the real images as reference only.