Yeah probably.

When I was considering the magic levels I was mostly considering them on an individual basis. But the draw backs seem severe enough to me. You can't just waltz into a fire node whistling Dixie. None of the nodes are unaspected which means that you have to have the knowledge, power, and ability to deal with whatever is inside. You can get lost in the nodes. You can accidentally choose the wrong exit. You ma accidentally eject yourself into space... not fun. Nor can you just walk up to a node and harness raw magic. Doesn't work that way. Think of it as a magic volcano, waltzing up to a caldera full of hot rumbling magma in nothing but shorts, t-shirt, and flippy floppies isn't exactly without drawbacks...

I also forgot to include one more caveat about my vision of nodes, which is that if the tunnels attach to opposing aspected nodes the magical turbulence within the tunnels can create the equivalent of energy maelstroms, liable to rip apart even the most prepared of explorers. Even with closely aligned but different aspected nodes attached to one tunnel system the unpredictable roiling turbulence of differing magic streams can cause mush trouble.