Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Ten Ilysan Possessions - Medieval/Fantasy Map (WIP)

First of all, my comment on the mediterraean/hudson bay sizes was quite wrong and you made me look for their areas. Thanks for that learning: mediterranean is way smaller in area than the hudson bay, not quite half the size but almost.

Now, on a different issue... EmileElDee, I don't know how much energy you want to devote to clime/biomes and the such, given you want to add magic to it all, but there's a critical inconsistency in your biomes that I'll try to explain. Of course, take in only as much as you like.

You said the map is about the size of europe, give or take, so I took the liberty of applying an outline of Europe..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scale.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	61323

If this fits your overall scale then, your map stretches more or less between the equator and 30/35 degrees north. On Earth, that's the size of the Hadley Cell (http://www.windows2universe.org/voca...Cell_small.jpg)

Which means you get lots of rain around the area of the equator (the red line) and high pressure centers on the top of your mapped land.
    I took 20 mins to make a preview of sea currents, dominant winds and possible biomes. It would be something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	climate.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	61324

Green being rainy throughout the year, yellow dry and warm (very hot in the summer, particularly inland), and yelow being transition biomes (mainly savanah type). The colored arrows indicate probable currents and the outlined white arrows mean the dominant winds.

I think the main issue here is that you are placing the desert area in the equator, whereas it should be at the tropic (roughly 30º degrees north) - you fix this by moving the whole thing northward and that red line becomes the northern tropic. Either that or you are picturing a 60º wide continent which is something twice as big as europe, more along the size of Africa or Northern America.

Side note: don't take my criticism as harsh. I wouldn't have invested time if I didn't feel the map had potential .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12